Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

I have been a long term stalker of this site for a good few months and love and appreciate all the help people on here provide so I joined :)

I have a question about UK border control and passing through with my partner.

He is due to come over to the UK in July and it will be his first ever trip outside of Brazil (as a tourist we have no visa) we want him over for 3 months (more if possible)
The flights we are looking at stop in Amsterdam to connect to the UK and after reading so many horror stories about UK border control and Brazilians I was thinking of flying out to Amsterdam to meet him and then getting the same flight back to the UK together (there are some available for our dates)

This would mean we would pass through passport control/immigration together and I would be by his side rather than having him on his own like a lamb to the slaughter if immigration was to question him at the desk (his english isn't too good etc)

The reason he is coming is to visit my family/see if he likes the UK (with the intent of possibly applying for a fiancé visa further down the line when he goes back to Brazil)

My question is if I am by his side at passport control stating I am going to sponsor him and he is staying in my home, here to visit family, for an anniversary party etc will border control have any issues with this?

Could border control still want to question him?

Will he still need to prove his employment/ties with Brazil (a bit difficult as he is self employed and does cash in hand ad hoc maintenance jobs- can anyone advice on how we can prove he has work in Brazil in this situation?)

And will he need to prove how much money he has with him?-
He will just have cash (maybe around £800-£900) with him and I was thinking of topping up a travelex card for him too (just to bump up his amount) I have no issue sponsoring his time here in terms of living expenses etc

I am so paranoid about him being turned back because knowing our luck he would be lol
I just need a little advice so I know what we could possibly expect.

Many Thanks

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
If you go to the UKBA site and complete the "Do you need a visa for the UK" , even if the person has a Brazilian passport and is entering the UK as a visitor is states that the person should carry the documentation they would have had to produce to obtain a visa.

In other words he needs to show that he has strong ties to Brazil and will be returning; proof of employment, accommodation rental/mortgage, probably letter from yourself inviting him and stating he would be staying with you, etc etc.

You going to meet him may help in this situation, although if you are going to be sponsoring him for everything and he only has ad hoc jobs in Brazil that could be an incentive for him to stay!

The fact he is going to the UK for three months is a bit of a red flag - who gets three months vacation?

·
Registered
91 Posts
When my wife came over with me to stay 5.5 months while I found a job and set ourselves up, we booked her a 3 week return ticket.

No questions asked at all. If they were to ask it was just a short vacation. No mention of visas or anything along those lines.
Then once in we changed her return date.

She left before her max stay ended of course. Nothing wrong with that. Keep it simple

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well this is my worry about it- he mostly does work for a friend of ours who has apartments he rents out but it is all on a self employed basis so no contract as such.
Would a letter from him saying he employs him to maintain his properties be enough? And do you know what it would need to contain (e.g.: phone number, address, etc or just a standard letter with a signature confirming his employment)

He wouldn't over stay as he would need to apply for a fiancé visa in Rio and we certainly wouldn't risk any refusals for that visa by him overstaying as a tourist (although we wouldn't obviously say that to the UKBA)

Its a difficult situation as all ties he has to Brazil can not be properly confirmed.
He lives in his fathers apartment alone but everything is paid for by the family so he has no utility bills etc in his name. Unfortunately being from Brazil nothing is done properly (or as the UKBA would like) and so he has had a bank account with no funds in it (As he gets paid cash in hand and keeps the money under his bed- ridiculous!) has employment but no contract, and has an apartment but nothing is in his name.

I think I will draft up a sponsor letter, we also have a joint anniversary party invitation which I will take for him and ask our friend to write a letter confirming he employs my partner to maintain his apartments.

Thanks for your guidance

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Your friend writing a letter will not help at all. It's bank statements and pay slips that they want to see.
It appears he has little to no strong ties to show the UKBA so I would not hold my breath.

£900 for 3 months is not going to get him very far either

If he applies for a visa to stay in UK he will have to do an English test as well (you said his English is not good)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Well this is my worry about it- he mostly does work for a friend of ours who has apartments he rents out but it is all on a self employed basis so no contract as such.
Would a letter from him saying he employs him to maintain his properties be enough? And do you know what it would need to contain (e.g.: phone number, address, etc or just a standard letter with a signature confirming his employment)

He wouldn't over stay as he would need to apply for a fiancé visa in Rio and we certainly wouldn't risk any refusals for that visa by him overstaying as a tourist (although we wouldn't obviously say that to the UKBA)

Its a difficult situation as all ties he has to Brazil can not be properly confirmed.
He lives in his fathers apartment alone but everything is paid for by the family so he has no utility bills etc in his name. Unfortunately being from Brazil nothing is done properly (or as the UKBA would like) and so he has had a bank account with no funds in it (As he gets paid cash in hand and keeps the money under his bed- ridiculous!) has employment but no contract, and has an apartment but nothing is in his name.

I think I will draft up a sponsor letter, we also have a joint anniversary party invitation which I will take for him and ask our friend to write a letter confirming he employs my partner to maintain his apartments.

Thanks for your guidance
Don't worry similar things can happen in Uruguay. I lived there for 10 years with my Uruguayan wife.

Isn't he just going to the UK for a vacation? If so you are over complicating everything IMHO.

Does he need a visa to go on vacation in the UK. I'm not familiar.
Uruguayans don't.

I was paranoid when we entered due to all the scaremongers. My wife laughed. She strolled through relaxed, they didn't even ask for her return tickets.

I went through the EU electronic machines.
She went on her own in the non-EU queue.
I waited on the other side of the officer.
She said I'm with my husband over there he's British, he turned around and nodded his head.

That was it.

When we last came before married, she said I'm with my British boyfriend. Same thing happend, the officer turned around and nodded, and let her through with very few questions asked.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Remember they have become a lot more strict of late...
when is late?
We strolled through just last June.
No one else I know has had any issues. You shouldn't.

London lives off Tourism. Thousands enter everyday.
Just have return tickets, preferably dated 2-4 weeks.
Enough money(cash is easier) and somewhere to stay. :plane:

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think they did ask her what I did for a living (none of their business really). She just stated my previous employment. No further questions asked. Could have said anything. Just routine questions

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just talking from experience and a bit of common sense. He's going on vacation with his fiance.
Have proof of somewhere to stay, money and return tickets. Not really much else to it.

Apologies if you see otherwise.

Please continue and give the OP more advice.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for your replies guys.

I agree in a way that I am over complicating things, I am just trying to think about worse case scenarios, and I don't want to be naive enough to think we would just sail through (although that would be great).

I said my partner doesn't speak good english- He does speak english and understand to a simple conversational level...just not on the level to be questioned and cross examined by an over zealous agent who wants to know the ins and outs of everything.

He would be coming over to visit my family/see if he likes England etc and we have a few occasions such as birthdays and anniversaries which are spread out over a 3 month period.

I don't know how he can prove his employment if he is self employed and gets paid cash in hand (it might not be the right way to do things but its a different country with different ways of doing things to us)
Can somebody please advise any other evidence we can bring to show he has ties with his country (like I say he has got ties e.g.: a home etc but none documented)

In regards to the money I am fully willing to sponsor him and pay for everything- We have been together almost 2 years and I have lived with him for a year of that in Brazil with occasional visits over to see him in the second year (when work/money allows)
My financial situation is much better than his and I have no issue supporting him whilst being here.

It would just be a visiting vacation and nothing unto wards at all. I am just being cautious with everything as I know things are getting more strict.
Its something so simple but all very stressful

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thank you for your replies guys.

I agree in a way that I am over complicating things, I am just trying to think about worse case scenarios, and I don't want to be naive enough to think we would just sail through (although that would be great).

I said my partner doesn't speak good english- He does speak english and understand to a simple conversational level...just not on the level to be questioned and cross examined by an over zealous agent who wants to know the ins and outs of everything.

He would be coming over to visit my family/see if he likes England etc and we have a few occasions such as birthdays and anniversaries which are spread out over a 3 month period.

I don't know how he can prove his employment if he is self employed and gets paid cash in hand (it might not be the right way to do things but its a different country with different ways of doing things to us)
Can somebody please advise any other evidence we can bring to show he has ties with his country (like I say he has got ties e.g.: a home etc but none documented)

In regards to the money I am fully willing to sponsor him and pay for everything- We have been together almost 2 years and I have lived with him for a year of that in Brazil with occasional visits over to see him in the second year (when work/money allows)
My financial situation is much better than his and I have no issue supporting him whilst being here.

It would just be a visiting vacation and nothing unto wards at all. I am just being cautious with everything as I know things are getting more strict.
Its something so simple but all very stressful
as mentioned before a 3 month return could raise an eyebrow if you are unlucky.
Would be safer if you have a 2-3 week return date to show he is just visiting and then change the return flight once you get in.

No crime being self employed either. Just tell the truth about his employment. Many people are self employed.

·
Registered
39,060 Posts
My take is there is no way of knowing in advance what kind of reception/treatment your partner is going to get at Heathrow. True, London gets millions of visitors and Border Force staff are under pressure to process as many passengers as quickly as possible. But they do profile them and seek some out for special attention and scrutiny. First they look at your nationality and what you have written on the immigration card, such as your UK address and planned length and purpose of stay. Then they put the passport in a reader and find out if anything is recorded about you - previous visa or entry refusals, deportations, banning order, even being questioned at previous visits and outcome. If there's nothing, they quickly make a judgment whether you should be admitted, and if affirmative, they stamp the passport for 6-month stay on code 5n (as visitor). Your immigration card isn't kept. But if they aren't 100% satisfied but there isn't enough evidence to deny you entry, they can give you code 3 landing, meaning they are going to monitor your movement and your card is retained. What you wrote and what you said to immigration officer is recorded and is available to view next time you come to UK or apply for UK visa, and any discrepancy (e.g. you told them a 3-week stay but ended up remaining 3 months, even with a 6-month stamp) can land you into trouble, including refused entry. As part of their decision-making process, they can ask to see certain documents such as bank statement, employment letter, sponsorship letter, return ticket. This may all take place at the immigration counter, perhaps taking a few minutes and you are then free to go. But you can be taken to an interview room and grilled by officer(s), and they can conduct further background checks (they have extensive database).
So as I said, there is no way of knowing in advance. Arriving together with your UK sponsor may help, but you can be kept apart and interviewed on your own. Or UK partner is simply told to wait at the arrivals. If there is nothing to evidence self-employment, bank statement will help. Return ticket (or eticket receipt/itinerary) and details of where you'll be staying (name, address and phone number). If you look nervous or hesitant in your answers (they take account of your English ability - or can put you in touch with interpreter by phone), and they are well trained in interview technique and picking up non-verbal signs, you can expect further questions and delays. So you may be waived through with a smile, or detained for 2 hours. Be prepared for either and be forewarned.

·
Registered
480 Posts
My girlfriend came over in 2013 hoping to see me for a three month visit. She had recently left her job in her home country and this seemed to be seen as a problem, and she was not allowed entry to the UK.

Is it definitely too late to apply for a tourist visa from Brazil? (not sure if it would help but it was what I wished we had done at the time...)

Anyway others will have more detailed advice but you are correct not to want to do this 'naïvely'.

·
Registered
53 Posts
What Joppa said is good advice....Though I understand what the previous poster on the other page was trying to say (about not having unnecessary worry) wisdom is needed when it comes immigration matters, as the UK have got alot stricter at boarders....

As people have been saying two things that would be of great use is proof of a return job, and rent/mortgage bill to prove a commitment to home country... Booking on a two week visit and then changing the return date once in the UK is a possibility but also has the risk, as Joppa mentioned, of the immigration officer deciding to monitor your friends stay in the UK (though this is unusual it is not unheard of) - This was infact what my girlfriend did upon her visit to the UK after initally being refused entry and it worked fine, but it is good to be aware of the risks (and extra cost of rebooking your plane ticket) :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
My wife was curious how they monitor your departure date as the previous 2 visits they did not stamp her exit.
Sometimes difficult remembering you older visits (the dates you left). This has been mentioned on tv as being an issue as sometimes they don't stamp your passport when leaving.

I'm assuming the airlines register them as they leave otherwise how on earth do they know you have left if you they don't even validate your passport as leaving.

Sorry to digress a little.

·
Registered
480 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
A sister of a friend came to the UK to visit her, she lives with her parents, is self-employed and has no record of it as she is paid in cash. She wasn't really bothered about visiting the UK, it's just that she was pestered into it by her sister. Travelled alone, was questioned at the border and they let her in. Basically, I do think if you are just telling the truth the border people can see that, I think you come across more confident or something.

From personal experience, I was never asked anything when I travelled with my boyfriend/now husband. I was never ever really drilled when I travelled on my own either. I was once asked at the border when I am returning back home and I gave them the wrong date, they corrected me and I didn't at the time understand it was quite a worrying mistake so I was relaxed about it, and said something along the lines of "Oh, is it, yeah I wasn't really sure cause I checked so many dates to get the cheapest ticket, so I actually get two days more in the UK than I thought I did, that's great news" and they waved me through. Now of course, the more I read about it, the more I realise how lucky I was at certain times, but basically, just be relaxed and confident, tell the truth and you should be fine... the more you worry about it, the more suspicious you'll appear and as long as you are confident that you are not doing anything wrong or forbidden, why would you worry?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.