Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

We are moving to the Pas-de-Calais region in the Spring, and are very keen to move somewhere with a lively, active community. And with 2 small children, finding a good primary school is probably top of the list of criteria when it comes to ticking things off our wish list.

Can anyone recommend any villages/towns that might fit the bill so we can hone our search?

Many thanks

Rebecca

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hi there,

We are moving to the Pas-de-Calais region in the Spring, and are very keen to move somewhere with a lively, active community. And with 2 small children, finding a good primary school is probably top of the list of criteria when it comes to ticking things off our wish list.

Can anyone recommend any villages/towns that might fit the bill so we can hone our search?

Many thanks

Rebecca
Lots of lively active communities around, more life April to October it's quieter in between, need more info, don't live there now but know some parts very well and still have contacts French and English I may be able to put you in touch with. some with kids at school. When you've got, your 5 posts in you can PM me for more detailed info if you like.

Good luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Rebecca,

Did you move here? I live near ardres and keen to make some friends! I have a ten month old...

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks,
Emily

·
Registered
7 Posts
Relocating to Ardres 62?

Hi everyone,

I saw this thread and it caught my eye as we are considering relocating to Ardres near Calais from London. We have a very young daughter so need to check out schools and other local facilities.

I will need to commute from Calais to London fairly regularly so Ardres could well give us the lifestyle we are looking for. Any opinions and advice from residents in or near to Ardres / Calais would be most welcome. I have lived in France beforehand and am fluent in French.

Which are the best places to live in around Calais?

Many thanks.

Imtiaz

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello,

I live in nielles les ardres. Ardres is lovely. Cobbled streets, delicious places to buy your food, etc. there's not that much in terms of groups for children but there is in calais. How old is your daughter? Mine is 17 months. I love living here - we are next to a farm and it's beautiful countryside. My husband goes to London regularly for his work and it's fine. Only about 20 mins to the tunnel. Hope that helps? Let me know if you'd like to know anything else...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Emily,

Thank you so much for your reply. Our daughter is 23 months old. We did take a quick look at Ardres, Guines and Calais on our way back to London during our last trip to france. Ardres does look lovely, and i get the feeling house prices are very reasonable there.

We thought Ardres offered the best compromise in terms of having the quality french lifestyle and also an occasional fast commute to London. Our main worries so far are the sometimes expensive and infrequent train tickets from Calais to London and our lack of knowledge about Calais! It is fair to say Calais was not out first choice for a french relocation, but having looked around, it is growing on us as our possible new home. How are the local schools there?

Out of interest, how did you choose nielles les ardres as your new home? Was it a difficult decision?

Imtiaz

1 - 7 of 7 Posts