Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
There is a Partnership visa application question that I would like some advice on. My boyfriend and I have been together for 3 years and planning to get married next year. He recently got a job offer in Auckland and received a talented work visa. I would like to join him in Auckland asap so we can live together and get married and stay permanently in NZ.

We were about to apply Partnership based worker visa for me so I can stay in NZ as long as my boyfriend’s work visa allowed, and I could also be able to look for jobs in Auckland. To proof our stable and genuine relationship, we have countless photos of us, multiple trips to oversea together and a joint bank account.

The problem is, we haven't been living together during the past 3 years when we are in Hong Kong, our home town. There are 2 main reasons: the internationally famous crazy high cost of housing in Hong Kong; and the cultural tradition of the Chinese society that young couple won’t be living together alone before they get married.

So based on this situation, what kind of visa (preferably partnership based visa) should I apply in order to join my boyfriend in NZ?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
4,898 Posts
Unless you meet the criteria and requirements of a partnership based visa then you cannot go that route. You could either qualify for your own temp work visa by getting a job offer or the only other option is a visitor visa. It may be possible to be approved a longer period visitor visa that allows you to live together in NZ to get the sufficient period of living together under the same roof (12 months) which will then allow you to apply for a partnership based visa.
You need to liaise with Immigration or an approved advisor to find out your options.

Reactions: hojicha1

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unless you meet the criteria and requirements of a partnership based visa then you cannot go that route. You could either qualify for your own temp work visa by getting a job offer or the only other option is a visitor visa. It may be possible to be approved a longer period visitor visa that allows you to live together in NZ to get the sufficient period of living together under the same roof (12 months) which will then allow you to apply for a partnership based visa.
You need to liaise with Immigration or an approved advisor to find out your options.
thanks for the quick respond escapedtonz! yea i get the same answer from some immigration agents but when i call INZ, the lady suggested me to apply for a "Partner of a Worker Visitor Visa". Its a visitor visa on a partnership based, I have to prove the relationship and tell INZ i want to pursue this relationship by going to NZ on this visitor visa, in order to live with my boyfriend.

What do you think about this suggestion?

Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts