Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey, everyone! I hope that someone here can help me with a visa question that I'm sure comes up quite a lot.

I'm British and my partner is from the USA. He is on a student visa and in his third and final year of university in the UK. We've been living together since the beginning of his first year, so two years to date and it will be three by the time he's finished.

I put him on the household bills a couple of months after he moved here (So 2 and a half years when he finishes uni), and he's had a bank account since he moved here (no joint account because I hate those!). He's also been on the tenancy agreement since the start of his second year (so two years when he finishes uni). My earnings are above the £18.6k threshold. Apart from going home to the US for 6-8 weeks every summer, he's been living with me continuously.

Do you think that we'll have any problems getting him a partner visa when he finishes his studies? He's probably going to do a Masters degree, so we'll have one extra year of living together if we need it, but I'd rather get him a partner visa as soon as possible.

Thanks so much for helping!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot to say that we'll also have about two and a half years of joint council tax bills by the time he finished uni, and about two years of joint home insurance. He'll also have been registered with the same GP for 2 years, at our address.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
It all sounds fine to me and a good idea to do it as soon as possible as the rules are changing all the time - good luck...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It all sounds fine to me and a good idea to do it as soon as possible as the rules are changing all the time - good luck...
Thanks, that's good to hear!

Does anyone else have anything to add, or do people think that it sounds fine?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.