Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I've got a 175 (skilled migration) granted back in 2010 and made my initial entry (visa activation) in 2011. As of today, I'm not yet living in Australia.

I like to migrate to Australia later this year, and I like to take my partner with me - who is not on my visum. We have no problems to prove our de-facto relationship (living together since 2 years), but I have serious doubts that I qualify as a possible sponsor.

In the booklet "Partner Migration" (here) it says on page 15:

If you wish to sponsor the visa applicant as your fiancé(e) or partner, you must be an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen ... and further: If you are an Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen, you are required to be usually resident in Australia.

I'm pretty sure that I got PR status when I activated my visa, but obviously I'm not usually resident in Australia (yet). :-(

Of course I'm willing to call the immigration office / embassy, but - as I cannot imagine that I'm the only one in this situation - I'm trying to gather as much substantial information as possible.

Would be very glad if someone could fill the gap...

cheers,
Theo

G

·
The booklet does say people sponsoring who are not citizens should be usually resident. As you have not yet moved there you likely wouldnt qualify as validating does not count. You have to be physically resident in Australia.

They put this law in to stop people using loopholes to get spouses into Australia who would not otherwise qualify for PR by using waivers that are only applicable to family visas.

That said however I have seen people with PR who are not resident successfully sponsor their spouse although I do not know the circumstances of their case. I would suggest getting a registered migration agent to look over your case to see if they can help. https://www.mara.gov.au/

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for answering!

That said however I have seen people with PR who are not resident successfully sponsor their spouse although I do not know the circumstances of their case.
You don't happen to have any piece of reference to such cases? Would be incredible helpful to get in touch with others in the same situation...

G

·
I dont you'd have to do a search on here. The point is they can ask for your intention to reside in Australia. They dont like people collecting visa that they are not going to use when they have small quotas each year that could have gone to people who would move to and work in Australia.

If you have started plans to move, booked flights, arranged shipping, have a job in Australia they might be more agreeable. If you have non of this they will question if you have any intention of living there considering you have had your visa for so long and have yet to go and live there.

Like I said a migration agent would be your best bet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.