Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been in a relationship with my french boyfriend for 6 months, the same amount of time we've lived together initially as flatmates and then as roomates.
Now I'm back to my home country (Brazil) as my visa was over and am looking for a way to join him so we can live together happily ever after again..

I plan on studying but for now applying for a tier 4 student visa to study in the UK is unbearable for me finally wise, so my ideal plan would be to have some kind of EEA family permit or benefits to apply to study there with the same benefits as an european.

Even though we haven't even been together for a year, we're sure of our decision in moving in together and I believe with my power of persuasation through writing that I can make up for that in terms of proving the legitimacy of our relationship. What do you think?? Have you even heard about this couple's permit being given to a couple less than 2/1 year??

My question is, is there any way you can enlighten me with a possibility somehow that we get together again? In a way, of course, that I'm legal and able to work and sustain myself as my partner as well is a job seeker.

I'm aware how the UK laws can be tough so I'd be thinking of relocating to another EEA country if would make things easier.

Any thoughts/insights? :drama:

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
I think you have no chance of obtaining an EEA Family permit to live with your French boyfriend of 6 months in the UK.

If you wish to study in the UK, then you need to apply to a college/university, obtain a visa and find funding for yourself.

Since he is French, maybe moving to France would be a better option at this time.

·
Registered
39,244 Posts
To claim EEA family permit, you either need to be married or in civil partnership (same-sex couples) or have been living together for 2 years continuously.
Otherwise your choice is Tier 4 student visa, or Tier 2 General work visa, but you need to qualify for a category of workers who can get sponsorship, usually in shortage occupation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you all for the prompt reply. I udnerstand my situation is not the best for a partner visa, even so as the UK doesn't accept the PACS as it's only valid for same sex couples there...

So in thesis, if we to live in France... could we have chances of being accepted PACS even our relationship being very short but with the claim of being a positive influence in a medical situation to one of the partners, for example?

Or, in another case... if we were to get married I've seen it's quicker and more practical to do so outside France, apply for the visa still being away and then go there only with the visa ready to then ask for spouse residence permit with the permission to work once we're there?
Or could we not get married in france or another country and wait for the procedure still in Europe?

Based on your/others experience, do you know how long it takes usually?

Thanks a lot...

·
Registered
39,244 Posts
You should post question about France on the France Forum. While you may get PACS there, it doesn't help you to get visa or EEA family permit in UK, as you are an opposite-sex couple and you haven't cohabited for 2 years.
If you are to get married, you may be able to apply for EEA family permit. Getting married in France isn't too difficult if your partner is French and has residence papers. Again ask on France Forum for details. Else Gibraltar and Denmark are possible countries without residence requirement for marriage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.