Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I am a Filipina who has long term residence permit here in Czech Republic. My French boyfriend ask me to join and live with him in Paris in July 2012. What visa I should apply to come and live with him for about 3-6 months and marry next year? Is partner visa or Fiancee visa will allow me to work also if I stay there? Please help...your word means a lot to me! thanks...

·
Administrator
53,142 Posts
Are you on a Schengen visa or a long-term residence visa, then?

To go to France to marry your boyfriend, you will need to apply first for a "long stay visitor visa" which does not allow you to work. After you are married and you have been living together (and can prove it) for at least 6 months, then you can apply for a change of status on your carte de séjour (residence permit) to the spouse of a French national. At that point, you can work in France.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you Bev for answering this one, which also answers my question.
Proving the "communaute de vie" for six months is the next step.

But, as asked in this thread, i still wonder what happens when you get a fiancee visa, does it automatically turns into carte de sejour with ability to work after the marriage is celebrated ?

I dont know if someone went through this one, but if its the case, id like to know how it was.
Cheers everyone

Pauline

·
Administrator
53,142 Posts
Thank you Bev for answering this one, which also answers my question.
Proving the "communaute de vie" for six months is the next step.

But, as asked in this thread, i still wonder what happens when you get a fiancee visa, does it automatically turns into carte de sejour with ability to work after the marriage is celebrated ?

I dont know if someone went through this one, but if its the case, id like to know how it was.
Cheers everyone

Pauline
There isn't really any such thing as a "fiancé visa" for France. What some consulates are advising is that a fiancé apply for a long-stay "visitor" visa for a full year. The rules say that if you get married in France while on a long-stay visa, you can apply for a change in status (i.e. from "visitor" to "spouse") at the local préfecture without having to return to your home country. But the key factor seems to be that at the time you apply for the change in status (i.e. after the marriage has taken place) you can prove that you have been living together for at least six months).

So, no, the visa doesn't automatically become a spouse visa after the marriage. You have to apply for (and be accepted for) the change in status.

To add a bit to the "mystery" there are some prefectures that are not keen to make this kind of status adjustment and may look for reasons to delay or reject the request. As they say, "your mileage may vary."
Cheers,
bev

·
Registered
50 Posts
Pauline I just went through this and though Bev has answered most of your question, I'll just give you my experience.

I was on a Working Holiday Visa living with my boyfriend and got PACSed after 10 months of being in France, then went back to Aus to get a visitor visa (as changing from a WHV to another type must be done outside of France). Within 6 months of being back in France, we got civilly married and yes, you need a valid visa (not a tourist visa) to be married in France, so MAKE SURE you get a visitor visa of 12 MONTHS (not shorter) before going and getting married. As you'll discover, you need to register with Immigration within one month of arriving in France - when you finally get your appointment at immigration, you'll have a medical check to do and an interview, and after paying a little over €300 you'll get your first "carte de séjour" or "titre de séjour" (they don't tell you about how much this costs at the Consulate).

AS SOON as you arrive in France, get all the bills in BOTH your and your man's names because these are going to have to be presented as proof of "communauté de vie" many many times over the course of the next year.

You can get married at any point on your visitor visa, but I recommend starting to get the marriage paperwork underway around 3-4 months of being in France, as it'll take you around a month or so to get all the paperwork together and to set a date with your local Mairie. All paperwork has to be under 1 month old for the most part, so you can't get the paperwork together before leaving your country.

Once you've got 6 months of living together (the longer the proof you have of living together, the better, even if you've got proof of living together overseas, mention it because it helps with the change of visa process), you're eligible to go to your MAIRIE (town hall), not the Prefecture, and apply for a change of titre de séjour to "conjoint". Your paperwork then gets sent to the Prefecture, and then the OFII. From the day that I submitted the paperwork, it has taken four months to process and get an appointment with the OFII (Immigration).

You won't have any right to work until you get the conjoint status. Be prepared, because it's frustrating and it's a LONG HAUL process. There's no way of speeding it up either... You might hit the jackpot and have your papers processed a lot more quickly than mine.

Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.