Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and my partner have been together for five years and been back forth from him to his country to mine. I've been looking information in regards on what I have to do and it's all been so confusing. I'm from Puerto Rico and he is from the UK. We just want to be together and the distance. I would like to know the overall costs for anything, what papers I need and etc. Would a partner visa let me get a job? And if we decide to get get married would I need another VISA. Also, may I add I'm 23 and he is 25.

I'm really confused and just feel like crying.

I need all the help I can get and I have written to advisors and still no response from them.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hey,

1st of all I think we all been in your situation, it is a long and frustrating process so try to be as strong as you can and think positive.

Have you been living together for 2 years from the 5 years you are together? If you didn't, do you want to study in the UK? if so - you can apply for student visa.

In your case, I understand that you're planing to get married.
So you basically have 2 option,

1. Get married outside of the UK - Apply for Partner visa. It's 2.5 years visa and you can work.

2. Get married in the UK - Apply for fiance' visa. It's a 6 months visa, you must marry within 6 mounts and you can't work but after you get married you apply for Partner vise from the UK that will give you the right to work.

You can find information in the UKBA website about the requirements and documents you need to show. I recommend you to look at the requirements and then come back if you have more questions.

If you take the Fiance' visa route it just mean you pay more as you need to pay for fiance visa then partner visa and extension of that visa after 2.5 years.

Good Luck

·
Super Moderator
18,073 Posts
To qualify for an unmarried partner visa you need to have been living together in a relationship akin to marriage continuously for 2 years and you must have documentation to back it up including joint tenancy agreements, joint bank accounts and utility bills. Just being in a relationship and visiting each other isn't enough.

If you decide to marry in the UK, 1st you would need a fiance visa which gives you 6 months to marry after which you apply for further leave to remain as a spouse FLR (M) which is good for 2.5 years after which you apply to renew FLR (M) for another 2.5 years. Fiance visa info:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/v...amilies/citizens-settled/fiancee-proposed-cp/

If you marry in PR or somewhere else, you can skip the fiance visa and apply for a spouse visa which is good for 2.5 years after which you apply for FLR (M) which is good for another 2.5 years. Spouse visa info:

UK Border Agency | Applying from outside the UK

For all the above visas you must meet financial, accommodation and relationship requirements. There are several ways to meet the financial requirement but the most common is for the UK partner to be earning £18,600/year.

More info on the financial requirement:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/s...DIs/chp8-annex/section-FM-1.7.pdf?view=Binary

Fiance visa costs £851
Spouse visa costs £851
FLR (M) costs £578 by post and £953 for an in-person appointment

You can't work on a fiance visa. You can work on a spouse visa and FLR (M)

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
If you have contacted a professional advisor, you should direct any further queries to them - you are paying for their services.
Your country of application is US. You attend your biometric appointment in San Juan, and you send off your supporting documents to Sheffield, England.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your replies <3

No we haven't like lived together, but we been back and forth of countries. Makes me sad that doesn't apply as living together. I was hoping to go to that route.

I just don't know what direction to go, and if we get married outside of the UK wouldn't he need a VISA to get married? I would like to study, but later in time. But, I would like to be with him and trying to figure out what would be the best option for us.

And still no reply from the advisors.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
You can get married in US (and presumably in PR also) and he will only need the normal ESTA/visa waiver - no special visa.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh really? That's the one he fills up in the airport?

But if I want to move to the UK, would he had to move to me in the USA for at least 2 years so I can apply?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I meant to say is, that if he comes here, he wouldnt need a marriage visa to marry me just the with ESTA? Then he would apply for marriage visa in order to live here.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
That's correct. When asked at US border, he should state very clearly that soon after the wedding he will be returning home and show his return flight booking.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So he has to tell them at front that he is going to marry me then go back home? Won't they stop him or anything of the sort?

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
I meant to say is, that if he comes here, he wouldnt need a marriage visa to marry me just the with ESTA? Then he would apply for marriage visa in order to live here.
On the understanding that Puerto Rico has the same rules as the US, your UK boyfriend could fly into the States (or Puerto Rico) on the Visa Waiver Program , and you get married.

Then your now husband leaves the States/Puerto Rico (he cannot remain under the VWP for longer than 3 months) and you apply for the spouse visa for him to return and live permanently with you in the US/PR. He cannot remain in the US while the application is being processed. YOU will need to sponsor him.

Read the following on how you apply for the spouse visa for the US:

Green Card for an Immediate Relative of a U.S. Citizen | USCIS

The visa process take between 6 and 9 months.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't plan to live in US nor Puerto Rico, I desire to live in the UK with him, I'm guessing its the same process as well. From what I read even if we are married, we need proof at we had live together and have joint bank accounts which is another subject I don't understand. If he is not from here, how can we make a joint bank account?

Sorry if I'm asking too many questions, a bit slow and frustrated by reading e.e;

·
Super Moderator
18,073 Posts
I don't plan to live in US nor Puerto Rico, I desire to live in the UK with him, I'm guessing its the same process as well. From what I read even if we are married, we need proof at we had live together and have joint bank accounts which is another subject I don't understand. If he is not from here, how can we make a joint bank account?

Sorry if I'm asking too many questions, a bit slow and frustrated by reading e.e;
It is perfectly fine to marry in the US/Puerto Rico and if questioned at the border your fiance should be truthful by saying that he intends to marry you then return to the UK as you intend to live there as a couple. It is not a requirement to live together before marriage nor is it a requirement to have a joint bank account.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I'm guessing its just the Partner Visa that gives you those requirements? I just want to make sure to tell him everything before we start doing this process since we got different information from everyone.

·
Super Moderator
18,073 Posts
Yes, for an unmarried partner visa you need to have been living together for at least 2 years in a relationship akin to marriage which you prove by having joint responsibilities including bank accounts, utilities, rental agreement etc. There is no such requirement for the initial spouse visa.

·
Super Moderator
18,073 Posts
With Marriage I don't need that proof but just the umm, marriage certificate.
You'll need relationship proof of with the marriage certificate is one piece. You'll need wedding and other photos of you together, proof that you keep in touch through Skype, email, text, trip tickets etc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I got a bunch a pictures and I lost most of the traveling purchases...crap and there is no way I can get them back now ;(

But can I get married in court? Or does it have to be like the big weddings?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.