Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm planning to apply for partner visa via de facto relationship.

I understand part of the requirement is we have to live together for at least 12 months and we have fulfilled that.

However part of the requirements is we have to show that we share our expenses and we do have joint bank account but it's still less than 12 months since we opened the joint bank account.

I've been informed that it is mandatory to have joint bank account for at least 12 months to apply for de facto relationship but some people say that it is not mandatory.

Could anyone please help to answer this? And would be really appreciated if anyone can also let me know other than joint bank account how can we prove that we have shared expenses.

Thank you very much.

Cheers

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hi.
It's not mandatory. I was included as dependant in visa, we didnt show any financial documents as we dont have shared bank account or smth like this.
In our application we showed more social stuff - like photos and and our friends and relatives statements, joint vacations etc.
The most impotant - to prove that you live together more than 12 months.
This is what all we showed for relationship proof:

http://www.expatforum.com/expats/au...ing-australia/1277842-relationship-proof.html

Reactions: LokiG

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi.
It's not mandatory. I was included as dependant in visa, we didnt show any financial documents as we dont have shared bank account or smth like this.
In our application we showed more social stuff - like photos and and our friends and relatives statements, joint vacations etc.
The most impotant - to prove that you live together more than 12 months.
This is what all we showed for relationship proof:

http://www.expatforum.com/expats/au...ing-australia/1277842-relationship-proof.html
Thank you very much for your help.

May I know when did you apply for this visa? is it recently?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've been granted a de facto partner visa recently. My joint bank account with my partner had been opened for 9 months only at the time we lodged the visa application.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am a Hong Kong-British citizen and I created some videos sharing my experience. The slides are in English and the recording's in my native language. I inserted English subtitles for English speakers. Hope you find them helpful!

Part 1 - Eligibility, (Hidden) Cost, Processing Time

Part 2 - My Story (my worries, my document list, supporting witnesses..)

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
Hi everyone,

I'm planning to apply for partner visa via de facto relationship.

I understand part of the requirement is we have to live together for at least 12 months and we have fulfilled that.

However part of the requirements is we have to show that we share our expenses and we do have joint bank account but it's still less than 12 months since we opened the joint bank account.

I've been informed that it is mandatory to have joint bank account for at least 12 months to apply for de facto relationship but some people say that it is not mandatory.

Could anyone please help to answer this? And would be really appreciated if anyone can also let me know other than joint bank account how can we prove that we have shared expenses.

Thank you very much.

Cheers
I am sure you must have seen the DIP website which lists the evidence required to prove the relationship

https://www.border.gov.au/visas/supporting/Pages/skilled/documents-for-your-partner.aspx

De facto relationships
If you are in a de facto relationship, provide proof that you have been in a genuine and continuing relationship for at least 12 months before the date you lodge your application such as:
joint bank account statements
billing accounts in joint names
joint leases or mortgages.

If somebody has gotten away with lesser time evidence, I guess it must have been at the discretion of the CO

Cheers

·
Registered
5 Posts
You need to be in the De Facto relationship for at least 12 months, instead of having a joint bank account for at least 12 months.

<SNIP> I'm a Hong Kong/ British citizen and was granted a 820 partner visa on De Facto grounds in Feb 2017 after a 11-month wait. I shared my application experience and personal suggestions in detail in the videos. I will send the links to you will14m and I hope you find them helpful :)

Fact Sheet - De Facto relationship
border.gov.au/about/corporate/information/fact-sheets/35relationship

A person is in a de facto relationship with another person if they:
-are not married to each other
-have a mutual commitment to a shared life to the exclusion of all others
-are in a genuine and continuing relationship
-live together or do not live separately and apart on a permanent basis are not related by family.

**Evidence may include but is not limited to:***

The history of the relationship through a signed statement regarding:

how, when and where the couple first met
how the relationship developed
the couple's domestic arrangements, that is, how they support each other financially, physically and emotionally and when this level of commitment began
any periods of separation, when and why the separation occurred, for how long and how the couple maintained their relationship during the period of separation
the couple's future plans.

Financial aspects of the relationship, such as:

joint ownership of the house or joint names on a lease
correspondence addressed to the couple at the same address
details of financial commitments including bank statements, and any joint liabilities.

The nature of the household, such as:

any joint responsibility for the care and support of any children
the couple's living arrangements including sharing responsibilities within the home.

Social context, such as:

evidence that the couple is generally accepted and recognised as a couple socially such as joint invitations
evidence of common friends
assessments by the couple's friends and family of the relationship
joint travel or joint participation in sporting, social or cultural activities.

The couple's commitment to each other, such as:

the duration of the relationship including knowledge of each other
intention to have a long term relationship, for example, through terms of their wills
correspondence and telephone accounts to show that the couple maintained contact during any periods of separation.

·
Registered
321 Posts
First of all - all documents in the list are "required" but not "must have". Its clearly mentioned on dibp website and in partner migration booklet that you wont be refused visa if you are not providing all documents.
I believe it happens very rarely when couple is really able to provide each and every document, especially financial documents. Many countries dont even have such options like joint financial account or joint utility bills. And many people dont even think of creating such joint accounts. I know many people who are together many years (married also) but they would not be able to proof financial aspect.
The point is - if there is lack of documen, than what you have should be strong enough to make unknown person (co) believe that your relationship is real and genuine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts