Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a PR holder currently working in Australia. I am getting married in April next year ( 9 more months ) and planning to migrate my future wife to Australia after marriage.

I am considering below 2 options:

1. Partner Visa 309/100

309 is the temporary visa has a waiting period of up to 13 months and I have read online that it can be difficult find jobs while on 309 visa. Also it will take 2 years before the permanent 100 visa is granted.

Which leads me to considering about the skilled visa 189.

2. Skilled Visa 189

ANZSCO Code: 261313 - Software Engineer
Points: 65 = 30 (age) + 20 (english) + 15 (bachelor degree)

Is there a difference in processing time if the application is made from offshore?

Which one do you think will be best option so that my partner can travel to Australia immediately after our marriage and will be eligible to work in Australia?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
With 65, your wife is eligible for the 189 PR, but looking at the current backlog, it could take 7 to 9 months for her to receive an invitation to apply. It would be an instant invitation if she can manage to score 70 points. 189 PR of course is cheaper as compared to the 309+100, may be granted faster than 309, and the biggest benefit being she would become eligible to work immediately.

I don't think there is any difference in allocation or processing times for onshore/ offshore, but it appears that some onshore applicants are receiving grants quicker maybe because of the ease of verifying their employment, education, etc. claims.

·
Registered
189 Posts
With 65, your wife is eligible for the 189 PR, but looking at the current backlog, it could take 7 to 9 months for her to receive an invitation to apply. It would be an instant invitation if she can manage to score 70 points. 189 PR of course is cheaper as compared to the 309+100, may be granted faster than 309, and the biggest benefit being she would become eligible to work immediately.

I don't think there is any difference in allocation or processing times for onshore/ offshore, but it appears that some onshore applicants are receiving grants quicker maybe because of the ease of verifying their employment, education, etc. claims.
309 also let's you work immediately as per: https://www.border.gov.au/Visas/supporting/Pages/309/Partner-visa-(subclass-309).aspx

Reactions: KeeDa
1 - 4 of 4 Posts