Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am planning to apply for 189.

My wife has done BE in biotechnology and around 4.5 years of experience in IT. I am not sure if ACS will consider her occupation as skilled occupation / come under sol. does this mean i cannot add her for partner visa ? .

under the documents check list for 189 it is mentioned as -
a suitable skills assessment from the relevant assessing authority for your partner’s nominated occupation (which must be on the same skilled occupations list as your nominated occupation).

Thanks

·
Registered
973 Posts
hi,
For claiming 5 points for partner skills it is mandatory to get her skills assessed by an authorizing body like ACS.
no. of years of experience will not matter as long as the skills assessed fall under the same SOL.
So for example you applied for Software engineer and your wife got assessed for Software tester than you cannot claim points for the same.
but if you apply for S.E and she gets asses for software programmer then you can claim points for her skills provided she also scores some minimum points in English language capability tests like IELTS and PTE.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Sukesh . What if i am not claiming for her points . do we still have to do the assessment ?

·
Registered
973 Posts
If you are not claiming points for her then you don't need to do any assessment for her.
Though later when you file your VISA you may need to show her English competency by either one of the following methods.
1. She gives IELTS/PTE and scores the minimum points (AM not sure I think is 4.5 for IELTS you can check the forums)
2. Or you can get a letter from her college indicating that the medium of language was English for the entire course. Format of the letter again you can get from the forums.

Reactions: JjBlue

·
Registered
3,427 Posts

Skills assessment is required ONLY IF you are claiming PARTNER Points.

So, IN your case Skills Assessment NOT REQUIRED.

Regarding "How can I prove your WIFE has functional English?", refer to following web-link:

REF: How can I prove I have functional English?

Thanks Sukesh . What if i am not claiming for her points . do we still have to do the assessment ?

·
Registered
3,427 Posts

For one such format for "Medium of Language" letter from University uploaded by a fellow forum member, kindly refer to my following post.

REF: Evidence for Spouse's Functional English ability

If you are not claiming points for her then you don't need to do any assessment for her.
Though later when you file your VISA you may need to show her English competency by either one of the following methods.
1. She gives IELTS/PTE and scores the minimum points (AM not sure I think is 4.5 for IELTS you can check the forums)
2. Or you can get a letter from her college indicating that the medium of language was English for the entire course. Format of the letter again you can get from the forums.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts