Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a positive ACS assessment as software engineer ielts score, L-7.5, R-7, W-6,S-7.5). Total I have 55 points.
So I am thinking to claim partner points. My wife did Btech in EEE IN 2004 then did Masters in IT in 2012-2014. She has 1+ year of experience as software engineer (2014-tilldate).
Now my question is,
1. With the above mentioned qualification and experience, can she apply for ACS skill assessment?
2. Will the ACS assess her as having suitable skills for the nominated occupation as software engineer?
Thanks,
Abhilash

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
I have a positive ACS assessment as software engineer ielts score, L-7.5, R-7, W-6,S-7.5). Total I have 55 points.
So I am thinking to claim partner points. My wife did Btech in EEE IN 2004 then did Masters in IT in 2012-2014. She has 1+ year of experience as software engineer (2014-tilldate).
Now my question is,
1. With the above mentioned qualification and experience, can she apply for ACS skill assessment?
2. Will the ACS assess her as having suitable skills for the nominated occupation as software engineer?
Thanks,
Abhilash
With 1+ but less than 2 years, she certainly will not get a positive assessment from ACS. So, unfortunately, the only option for you to get to 60 points is to score better in English. Another option is the 190 visa sub class where there is a possibility of a sponsoring state choosing your application and in return for a commitment to live and work in that state for 2 years, they will help you with 5 points from their pocket thus giving you a total score of 60.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you verymuch for your quick reply. That is really helpful for us.
Regards,
Abhilash

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With 1+ but less than 2 years, she certainly will not get a positive assessment from ACS. So, unfortunately, the only option for you to get to 60 points is to score better in English. Another option is the 190 visa sub class where there is a possibility of a sponsoring state choosing your application and in return for a commitment to live and work in that state for 2 years, they will help you with 5 points from their pocket thus giving you a total score of 60.
May i ask you which states give that points in 190 subclass? Please provide any link to refer?
Thanks
Abhilash

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Hi
Thanks, I checked for state nomination especially in ACT CANBERRA state, my occupation (261313 software engineer) is listed there but showing as closed state. Can I still start EOI and request for state nomination inACT for the 5 point (via category 190)? Kindly advise.
Thanks
Abhilash

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
If it is closed, then it means they are not accepting nomination applications anymore. And frankly, it is difficult (if not impossible) for new immigrants to get a job in ACT. Most of the jobs there require security clearance and therefore only citizens are preferred. There could be exceptions though.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If it is closed, then it means they are not accepting nomination applications anymore. And frankly, it is difficult (if not impossible) for new immigrants to get a job in ACT. Most of the jobs there require security clearance and therefore only citizens are preferred. There could be exceptions though.
Ok. Thanks, i am actually working for a company in Canberra from india. They have recently give me job offer letter to work in their office in canberra. But they dont sponsorme due to the reason that it is complex and time consuming process for them. So i thought of this optin. Will it work for me? Kindly suggest

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
Well, unfortunately, ACT is closed at the moment for your occupation. Your best bet would be to try and score good marks in English and be eligible for 189 visa instead.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, unfortunately, ACT is closed at the moment for your occupation. Your best bet would be to try and score good marks in English and be eligible for 189 visa instead.
I got some promising answer.
I read the following from the site:
http://www.canberrayourfuture.com.a.../190-skilled-nominated-guidelines-july-15.pdf
Page number 3 and 4
If your occupation is listed as closed on the current ACT Occupation List, you may still be able to apply for ACT nomination if you meet certain criteria.
Overseas residents
If you are living overseas, you can apply for nomination of a closed occupation if you have:
• A genuine offer of employment in the nominated occupation from an ACT employer;
By reading this i feel i can proceed. What you think?

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
I got some promising answer.
I read the following from the site:
http://www.canberrayourfuture.com.a.../190-skilled-nominated-guidelines-july-15.pdf
Page number 3 and 4
If your occupation is listed as closed on the current ACT Occupation List, you may still be able to apply for ACT nomination if you meet certain criteria.
Overseas residents
If you are living overseas, you can apply for nomination of a closed occupation if you have:
• A genuine offer of employment in the nominated occupation from an ACT employer;
By reading this i feel i can proceed. What you think?
Oh that sounds good. But, you will have to speak to your employer about this before applying to ACT under these conditions. I am not sure, but I think the state would like to speak to them about having satisfied some obligations before offering the job an overseas applicant.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts