Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Expats, what document do I need to submit to prove that my partner has Functional level english. DIBP website says one of below (apart from the English exams)

1) Completed all years of primary education and at least three years of secondary education in an educational institution in or outside Australia and all instructions were in English.
2) Completed at least five years of secondary education in an institution in or outside Australia and all instructions were in English.
3) Successfully completed at least one year of full-time study or equivalent part-time study towards a degree, higher degree, diploma, or associate diploma in an institution in Australia and all instructions were in English.
4) Completed a degree, a higher degree, a diploma or a trade certificate that required at least two years of full-time study or training in an institution in or outside Australia and all instructions were in English.

My Partner has completed her education only till 10th standard (English medium). She was not able to pass her 12th exams.

So my question is, does education upto 10th standard in English medium school suffice to prove her Functional level english or do you suggest, we wait for the instructions from the CO for any further documents.

I'm thinking, it's better she take up PTE in the next month or so and keep it handy, just in case the CO asks at a later stage.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hi Expats, what document do I need to submit to prove that my partner has Functional level english. DIBP website says one of below (apart from the English exams)

1) Completed all years of primary education and at least three years of secondary education in an educational institution in or outside Australia and all instructions were in English.
2) Completed at least five years of secondary education in an institution in or outside Australia and all instructions were in English.
3) Successfully completed at least one year of full-time study or equivalent part-time study towards a degree, higher degree, diploma, or associate diploma in an institution in Australia and all instructions were in English.
4) Completed a degree, a higher degree, a diploma or a trade certificate that required at least two years of full-time study or training in an institution in or outside Australia and all instructions were in English.

My Partner has completed her education only till 10th standard (English medium). She was not able to pass her 12th exams.

So my question is, does education upto 10th standard in English medium school suffice to prove her Functional level english or do you suggest, we wait for the instructions from the CO for any further documents.

I'm thinking, it's better she take up PTE in the next month or so and keep it handy, just in case the CO asks at a later stage.

Well since you are not able to meet any of the options, If I were in your place, I would suggest my wife to take up PTE now and upload it before the CO contact unless you want to wait for options from CO. This will only facilitate the visa grant.
Ultimately the decision is yours. Do whatever YOU feel is right for your situation.

·
Registered
267 Posts

CO will definitely asks for the proof English. In the worst case you can go for the payment of fee for functional english proof.

·
Registered
577 Posts

Australian education system considers school years 7 or 8 (not sure which) and above as secondary education. You may fulfill the criteria in the 1st point you mentioned. She will have all primary education, and at-least 3 years of secondary education where medium of instruction was English.

You can upload the necessary evidences in your application, and wait for CO to contact if they feel the requirement is not satisfied; or go for PTE as an alternate.

Reactions: mobius 1

·
Registered
579 Posts

What I understood after multiple forum visits is that if the partner can appear for PTE and can get a reasonable score of 60 then it would be too good.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well since you are not able to meet any of the options, If I were in your place, I would suggest my wife to take up PTE now and upload it before the CO contact unless you want to wait for options from CO. This will only facilitate the visa grant.
Ultimately the decision is yours. Do whatever YOU feel is right for your situation.
Thanks vjsharma89. We have decided to take up the PTE.

·
Registered
46 Posts
can anybody comment if functional english certifcate from bachelor or master is needed?
Higher degree is sufficent or we need both?

·
Registered
643 Posts

·
Registered
23,906 Posts

If you have evidence that either right from KG to class 8 or class 5 to class 10 the medium of instruction was English, and she passed class 10 successfully then she meets the requirements of the clause

Cheers

·
Registered
216 Posts

Hello,

I got CO contact yesterday about my spouse functional English evidence

The list of docs I submitted while lodging my application

1. Mark lists .
2. Provisional Certificate
3. Letter stating that she did her entire distance bachelors in English
CO. Asked for certificate for bachelors not provisional, since she has done her education distance they take minimum one year to provide bachelors certificate

So we decided to go for PTE

visa lodge date :- Oct 27

CO contact :- Jan 9th for bachelors certificate or pay VAC fee and health declarations

·
Registered
23,906 Posts
Hello,

I got CO contact yesterday about my spouse functional English evidence

The list of docs I submitted while lodging my application

1. Mark lists .
2. Provisional Certificate
3. Letter stating that she did her entire distance bachelors in English
CO. Asked for certificate for bachelors not provisional, since she has done her education distance they take minimum one year to provide bachelors certificate

So we decided to go for PTE

visa lodge date :- Oct 27

CO contact :- Jan 9th for bachelors certificate or pay VAC fee and health declarations
It may not be necessary to give PTE
See my previous reply and check the eligibility

Cheers

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi,

My spouse (secondary applicant) has completed his Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering in Chennai. We have his provisional certificate and the marks degree in English. He also completed Masters in USA which is part-time and we have that certificates too.

Will this be able to prove that he is functional in English?

If we get a +ve result in his ACS, can we apply for the 5 points under "Partner Skills" ?

Thanks,

·
Registered
23,906 Posts
Hi,

My spouse (secondary applicant) has completed his Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering in Chennai. We have his provisional certificate and the marks degree in English. He also completed Masters in USA which is part-time and we have that certificates too.

Will this be able to prove that he is functional in English?

If we get a +ve result in his ACS, can we apply for the 5 points under "Partner Skills" ?

Thanks,
If you are aiming for partner points then he needs to prove competent English which is possible only through a test .
The 2 most common tests are PTEA and IELTS

If you are not aiming for the 5 points then functional English evidence is sufficient

For that provisional degree is not accepted. It has to be a final degree

About masters, as it was a part time, I am not sure if it’s admissible or not. Do recheck

There is also a 3 rd option for you, which is a school certificate and passing out result confirming that the medium of instruction in the school is English

You can get the details of all the options here and see which suits you best

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/abou...aqs/how-can-i-prove-i-have-functional-english

Cheers

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi,

Could you please let me know if the attached degree suffices for functional English. The Degree was in English only, however it stated 'Medium of Examination: English' whereas seems it should have stated 'Medium of Instructions: English' instead(attachment #1 - Uni Degree MSc). I am not claiming partner points.

OR do I need to get another certificate specially stating that Instructions are in English

Appreciate your help

Thanks

If you are aiming for partner points then he needs to prove competent English which is possible only through a test .
The 2 most common tests are PTEA and IELTS

If you are not aiming for the 5 points then functional English evidence is sufficient

For that provisional degree is not accepted. It has to be a final degree

About masters, as it was a part time, I am not sure if it’s admissible or not. Do recheck

There is also a 3 rd option for you, which is a school certificate and passing out result confirming that the medium of instruction in the school is English

You can get the details of all the options here and see which suits you best

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/abou...aqs/how-can-i-prove-i-have-functional-english

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
769 Posts
Hi,

Could you please let me know if the attached degree suffices for functional English. The Degree was in English only, however it stated 'Medium of Examination: English' whereas seems it should have stated 'Medium of Instructions: English' instead(attachment #1 - Uni Degree MSc). I am not claiming partner points.

OR do I need to get another certificate specially stating that Instructions are in English

Appreciate your help

Thanks
It has to be specified that medium of instructions throughout the course was in english.

Reactions: AGupta

·
Registered
100 Posts
Alright, so we need to get a certificate specifying something additional like "It was a two years full time course and medium of instructions throughout the course was in english".
I hope this is correct.

It has to be specified that medium of instructions throughout the course was in english.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Alright, so we need to get a certificate specifying something additional like "It was a two years full time course and medium of instructions throughout the course was in english".
I hope this is correct.
Doesn't have to be a certificate, just a letter with contact details for the education institute for DHA to verify ought to do it.

Reactions: AGupta

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hello there,

Are online degrees recognized ? My girlfriend has a Bachelor degree from the United Kingdom. In order to add her on my application, she is trying to get a functional English certificate instead of taking an IELTS.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi All,

I have received a certificate from my wife's university that the instructions for course were in English. Can anyone please verify the attached doc containing her degree and certficate I recently received suffices for Functional English proof, I am not claiming any partner points.

Thank you. I really appreciate response and help received from this forum

Hi,

Appreciate your help

Thanks

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts