Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I want to claim 20 bonus points from my wife's qualification and she is having the necessary IELTS (to be a principal applicant). However, she's having a different occupation as mine, is that a problem? Like in Australia, your partner should have the same occupation.

Pls advise.

·
Super Moderator
4,943 Posts
Nope.
So long as she has a recognized (exempt from assessment) qualification minimum level 7 or if not exempt it has been assessed as minimum level 7 and she meets the English language standard as a principal applicant then you can claim the 20 points.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi escapedtonz, btw, is it regardless if partner have occupation/experience not related to the degree earned? Like having an engineering degree (eligible for level7) but been having admistrative/clerical jobs? I believe skills/experience are not part of iqa assessment, kindly confirm.

·
Super Moderator
4,943 Posts
Hi escapedtonz, btw, is it regardless if partner have occupation/experience not related to the degree earned? Like having an engineering degree (eligible for level7) but been having admistrative/clerical jobs? I believe skills/experience are not part of iqa assessment, kindly confirm.
The eoi points indicator does not ask the question whether a partner has experience matching their qualification.
A partner only has to meet 2 requirements for the application to get partner points :-
1. Meet the same English standard as a principal applicant.
2. Have a recognised (exempt from assessment) or nzqa assessed qualification.
Up to level 6 gains 10 points. 7 and over 20 points.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Right, that's also my initial understanding. Thanks a lot for all your inputs. Keep it going. Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
4,943 Posts
Do secondary applicant need to have IQA also...
Yes if you want to claim partner points and only if assessment is required.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi escapedtonz,

On the immigration website, it is written that:

However, you may not have to take the IELTS test, if you can show us that you:

have a recognised qualification from a course taught entirely in English

So, is it compulsory for the partner to have IELTS score? Wouldn't the certificate from university saying "course taught entirely in English" do?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi escapedtonz,

So, is it compulsory for the partner to have IELTS score? Wouldn't the certificate from university saying "course taught entirely in English" do?
Hi rksingh30,

It is enough to have the recognised qualification taught in English. But for that "recognised" you have to get IQA for your partner's qualification done. You do not need to go for IELTS in that case.

Since the immigration guidelines state it is not mandatory, but once your residency application is submitted, you (or partner) may be required to complete. It depends on the officer handling your application. He may or may not insist you to submit an IELTS report, and probably without assigning any reason thereof. You can validate this fact here on NZ immigration website.

·
Super Moderator
4,943 Posts
Hi escapedtonz,

No it isnt compulsory, but a letter from a university principal is accepted at the discretion of a case officer. It isn't a rule that english study medium evidence letter will be sufficient.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks Ravi and escapedtonz for your inputs. But on the basis of past experiences of other members, how much chances are there that case officer will give me 20 points of my wife's education without IELTS score?

My other queries are:

1. My wife has done Masters and PhD in Management but her qualifications are not recognised. So, should I go for PAR or IQA? Will IQA be compulsorily required at later stages?

2. My wife has already done her qualification assessment from an Australian agency called VETASSESS (similar as ACS of Australia). As occupation codes of Australia and New Zealand are same, so I'm just wondering whether New Zealand Immigration could accept qualification assessment of VETASSESS. Any idea?

·
Super Moderator
4,943 Posts
Thanks Ravi and escapedtonz for your inputs. But on the basis of past experiences of other members, how much chances are there that case officer will give me 20 points of my wife's education without IELTS score?

My other queries are:

1. My wife has done Masters and PhD in Management but her qualifications are not recognised. So, should I go for PAR or IQA? Will IQA be compulsorily required at later stages?

2. My wife has already done her qualification assessment from an Australian agency called VETASSESS (similar as ACS of Australia). As occupation codes of Australia and New Zealand are same, so I'm just wondering whether New Zealand Immigration could accept qualification assessment of VETASSESS. Any idea?
I'd say the chance is pretty slim. The majority, if not all cases for Indian wannabe migrants seems to be that IELTS is essential and any other evidence is not accepted but it's up to you if you want to try the university letter instead.

1. IQA will be compulsory if you get through to the ITA stage, so you can use either assessment for the EOI. If you go the PAR route you will pay more in the long run if you subsequently get ITA.

2. No. Not accepted. Only NZQA.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'd say the chance is pretty slim. The majority, if not all cases for Indian wannabe migrants seems to be that IELTS is essential and any other evidence is not accepted but it's up to you if you want to try the university letter instead.

1. IQA will be compulsory if you get through to the ITA stage, so you can use either assessment for the EOI. If you go the PAR route you will pay more in the long run if you subsequently get ITA.

2. No. Not accepted. Only NZQA.
NZQA website says:

A pre-assessment of a qualification that was gained outside New Zealand is required for an 'Expression of Interest' under Immigration NZ's Skilled Migrant Category. A PAR is not sufficient for determining suitability for meeting Immigration New Zealand's Long Term Skill Shortage List (LTSSL) requirements. You may require a full International Qualifications Assessment (IQA) if you intend to apply for LTSSL points. If you want more than one qualification pre-assessed, you will need to make a separate application, with separate payment, for each qualification.

so, it looks like PAR might be sufficient for spouse. But IELTS seems to be compulsory. My other queries are:

1. Should I do PAR only for PhD for my wife or should I do PAR for her bachelors and masters degrees too? each qualification needs separate payment of around 180 NZD.

2. At what stage of PR process, we have to pay visa fees of around 1200 GBP? At the time of stamping or before the CO allotment?

3. Do we have any databases or threads of the people who applied for NZ PR or who are in the process of getting PR so that I could know their experiences?

I have 135 points currently. So, I need my wife's 20 points very badly. I have 7.5 band in IELTS and my both masters and bachelors degrees are recognised. So, I don't need NZQA. Only problem is my wife's IELTS. She appeared in IELTS twice but could manage only 6.0 overall. So, I don't think that she will get 6.5 overall.

·
Super Moderator
4,943 Posts
NZQA website says:

A pre-assessment of a qualification that was gained outside New Zealand is required for an 'Expression of Interest' under Immigration NZ's Skilled Migrant Category. A PAR is not sufficient for determining suitability for meeting Immigration New Zealand's Long Term Skill Shortage List (LTSSL) requirements. You may require a full International Qualifications Assessment (IQA) if you intend to apply for LTSSL points. If you want more than one qualification pre-assessed, you will need to make a separate application, with separate payment, for each qualification.

so, it looks like PAR might be sufficient for spouse. But IELTS seems to be compulsory. My other queries are:

1. Should I do PAR only for PhD for my wife or should I do PAR for her bachelors and masters degrees too? each qualification needs separate payment of around 180 NZD.

2. At what stage of PR process, we have to pay visa fees of around 1200 GBP? At the time of stamping or before the CO allotment?

3. Do we have any databases or threads of the people who applied for NZ PR or who are in the process of getting PR so that I could know their experiences?

I have 135 points currently. So, I need my wife's 20 points very badly. I have 7.5 band in IELTS and my both masters and bachelors degrees are recognised. So, I don't need NZQA. Only problem is my wife's IELTS. She appeared in IELTS twice but could manage only 6.0 overall. So, I don't think that she will get 6.5 overall.
1. There's no point doing PAR of all your partner's qualifications as you cannot get any more points than 20, so just do the one that will give at least level 7 in your opinion. I'd say the PhD or the Masters. If you choose the Bachelors, there is a chance it may not meet Level 7.

2. Submission of formal application after ITA received.

3. No.

If your wife does not meet the minimum overall score of 6.5 on IELTS then you cannot claim the partner points and without a job offer your EOI will not be selected with 135 points. Meeting the English Language Requirement is a basic mandatory requirement to claim partner points.
One advantage for your wife is that she knows what to expect in the IELTS exam. Maybe it would be worth her having some english tuition prior to her next appearing for IELTS.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks escapedtonz ! In the official points calculator, it asks for:

Did you begin your study for level 3, 4, 5 or 6 recognised qualification on or before 24 July 2011?

If I say yes, then my points become 145, otherwise 135. What's this question actually??

·
Super Moderator
4,943 Posts
Thanks escapedtonz ! In the official points calculator, it asks for:

Did you begin your study for level 3, 4, 5 or 6 recognised qualification on or before 24 July 2011?

If I say yes, then my points become 145, otherwise 135. What's this question actually??
24 July 2011 is the date Immigration NZ applied new rules in relation to qualifications and the points that the different qualifications and levels give on the EOI, so if your study was completed before this date you get the old points (more) and if after the revised points (less).

·
Registered
37 Posts
24 July 2011 is the date Immigration NZ applied new rules in relation to qualifications and the points that the different qualifications and levels give on the EOI, so if your study was completed before this date you get the old points (more) and if after the revised points (less).
Hi escapedtonz

As I completed my Masters in 2003, so it means that I would get 10 more points?? I'm at 145 then. It's really a good news for me.

In the forum, I read somewhere that if u have Masters degree, then u can't claim points for LTSSL. Is it true?? Please let me know.

·
Super Moderator
4,943 Posts
Hi escapedtonz

As I completed my Masters in 2003, so it means that I would get 10 more points?? I'm at 145 then. It's really a good news for me.

In the forum, I read somewhere that if u have Masters degree, then u can't claim points for LTSSL. Is it true?? Please let me know.
Masters degree is too high and does not meet the requirements for an occupation off the LTSSL so you are unable to claim the points if using MA as your chosen qualification.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts