Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello forum,

I am moving to Dubai in August with a full time role at a healthy 22,500 AED monthly salary.

I also love writing as a hobby and have been writing for the Daily Express here in the UK, as a Political Analyst.

I'd love to write in a column once a week in the UAE and earn some extra cash while I do so.

Is this common in the UAE? I've emailed the Khaleej Times and Gulf News, but is there anyone out there who could point me in the right direction?

I've always received fairly strong numbers and good feedback for my articles and was keen to see if I could use this skill to earn some pocket money.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
You would need permission to work for someone else, from your employer. I suspect you would also need to set up a company to do business with a paper and it wouldnt surprise me in the slightest if you needed accreditation as well.

AED22,500 ..... healthy. Well maybe to some people ......... ;)

Daily Express ...... gosh you'd have a lot to learn about the UAE in terms of libel and slander laws, insults against people and the penalties and the like, and from your jail cell it would be something else to write about :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You would need permission to work for someone else, from your employer. I suspect you would also need to set up a company to do business with a paper and it wouldnt surprise me in the slightest if you needed accreditation as well.

AED22,500 ..... healthy. Well maybe to some people .........

Daily Express ...... gosh you'd have a lot to learn about the UAE in terms of libel and slander laws, insults against people and the penalties and the like, and from your jail cell it would be something else to write about
Haha I'm one of the few writers in that paper that doesn't resort to writing lies lol

One of the reasons actually why I'd like to write abroad, as I'm censored quite a fair bit on what they allow me to write. Censoring the sensible stuff I write and just want me to write anything that's controversial.

I wasn't aware I'd need permission from my employer if I wanted to freelance for them

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
One of the reasons actually why I'd like to write abroad, as I'm censored quite a fair bit on what they allow me to write.
So you think the UAE will let you write more than the UK ? You're in for a real shock.

You should read your employment contract as you've missed one of the basics. There is no such thing as 'freelance' in the UAE. You work for those who sponsor your work visa - companies dont pay good money to sponsor you into the UAE to have you work for other people when it suits you.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
You wouldn't need to set up a company. You'd just need permission from your employer to do outside work. I will be brutally honest and tell you that your chances are slim.

Many of the papers have just laid off large numbers of staff and are cutting back big time. So you're literally competing with tens of people who've lived here for years, know the drill and know what they're talking about and they're all looking for job, full-time or otherwise.

Also about 15 magazines have just been shut down - now is really not the time.

No, you wouldn't have freedom to write what you want, you'll pretty much get told what you can and cannot write. Many subjects and countries do not exist as far as the UAE is concerned and many of the political stories come from the national news agency and you may only re-write their content.

Your monthly salary is fine - contrary to what some might say, many have never earned that much here and still do ok.

Join the facebook group, UAE Freelancers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts