Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just returned to my car to find I have a parking ticket. The ticket was received in Calpe where an easy park machine is used. It seems like I have the option to cancel the fine for 4.50 euros? But then on the ticket it references 50 euros and a reduced rate 25 euros. All very confusing for someone who can't read Spanish

Any know how it works? Do I have to pay 50 or 25 euros ? Or just cancel it for 4.50? And the other amounts are relevant to those who don't pay the 4.50 within a month?

·
Banned
1,832 Posts
Been a good few years since I had one ..............

I think that the 4.40 is the max parking amount & this is the amount you have to pay on the machine, get your ticket & put it into the envelope and post it into the machine (you will see a little slot)

Failure to do this in a certain time will result in a fine ?, if in doubt ask a local who has just parked & does not look like they are in a hurry. ;)

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Hi,

Just returned to my car to find I have a parking ticket. The ticket was received in Calpe where an easy park machine is used. It seems like I have the option to cancel the fine for 4.50 euros? But then on the ticket it references 50 euros and a reduced rate 25 euros. All very confusing for someone who can't read Spanish

Any know how it works? Do I have to pay 50 or 25 euros ? Or just cancel it for 4.50? And the other amounts are relevant to those who don't pay the 4.50 within a month?
Usually you need to pay the 4.50 and cancel the fine within a couple of hours - maybe too late now.

If you are resident and pay within a certain time period, then they give you 50% discount meaning you only pay a fine of 25€ - via a particular bank named on the ticket.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the comments. The general conclusion is that nobody really knows :)

We have put the 4.50 receipt in the envelope and are hoping for the best.

I guess the car hire company will bill us 50 euros if not

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Thanks for the comments. The general conclusion is that nobody really knows :)

We have put the 4.50 receipt in the envelope and are hoping for the best.

I guess the car hire company will bill us 50 euros if not
Why do you assume that nobody knows?

I thought I gave a clear response as to how it works in Spain and Calpe in particular.

:confused:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Parking tickets always give you a reduced fine (E.g. the 25 Euros) with a period to pay it before it goes to 50. I doubt they would fine you just 4.50 - it would cost them more than that to process it.

You can normally pay via online banking too with the instructions on the ticket.

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Parking tickets always give you a reduced fine (E.g. the 25 Euros) with a period to pay it before it goes to 50. I doubt they would fine you just 4.50 - it would cost them more than that to process it.

You can normally pay via online banking too with the instructions on the ticket.
You are mistaken - they certainly do make that offer.

If you pay the fee at the machine within a couple of hours (details on ticket), then it is only a little over what it would have cost you to park there properly in the first place.

Well worth remembering this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all. Sorry didn't mean to sound unappreciative by any means

I phoned up today and it turns out 4.50 wipes the fine. 25 and 50 are only applicable if you don't pay the 4.50 within a number of weeks (the exact period is unclear but it sounds like you get at least a week)

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Usually you need to pay the 4.50 and cancel the fine within a couple of hours - maybe too late now.

If you are resident and pay within a certain time period, then they give you 50% discount meaning you only pay a fine of 25€ - via a particular bank named on the ticket.
What if you aren't a resident, say, a holidaymaker?

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Sorry @baldilocks, I forgot to answer you.

Simply, I don't know.

Someone mentioned to me that things are different for non-residents. All I know is that when I've had to pay a fine at a bank, I've only ever needed to give my NIE number.

I guess it may be different if you don't have an NIE either.

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Sorry @baldilocks, I forgot to answer you.

Simply, I don't know.

Someone mentioned to me that things are different for non-residents. All I know is that when I've had to pay a fine at a bank, I've only ever needed to give my NIE number.

I guess it may be different if you don't have an NIE either.
I guess it is the same with all fines or penalties - don't get one!

·
Registered
381 Posts
I guess they mean a resident of the town, as in "empadronado". Normally, residents have cheaper rates or certain benefits. Many no-entry signs say "excepto residentes" but it obviously isn't referring to having a residency permit!

·
Registered
5 Posts
We had the same trouble trying to decipher ticket machine instructions was near impossible but it turned out 4,50? was the fine and to be honest I was more than happy to pay,,

1 - 14 of 14 Posts