Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3,425 Posts
There are official valuations for tax purposes which are published in the BOE, these are also what most insurance companies use for valuations in case of losses, but they are usually very low compared to the "real market" value.

You can look it up in the BOE (pages and pages of tables of valuyes by make and model and then adjust for yearly depreciation) or you can use one of the many web-based calculators (I have not checked if this one draws on the right Hacienda published tables and data, but here is one: Calcular el valor venal de un Coche o Moto. Hacienda 2023)

· Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are official valuations for tax purposes which are published in the BOE, these are also what most insurance companies use for valuations in case of losses, but they are usually very low compared to the "real market" value.

You can look it up in the BOE (pages and pages of tables of valuyes by make and model and then adjust for yearly depreciation) or you can use one of the many web-based calculators (I have not checked if this one draws on the right Hacienda published tables and data, but here is one: Calcular el valor venal de un Coche o Moto. Hacienda 2023)
thanks !!!

· Registered
6,306 Posts

That link, whilst a Government link, bears no relation to reality. Just valued a car that I'm looking at and it was showing only 30% value of many others on sites like milanuncios, autoscout24 etc.

· Registered
1 Posts
There are several Spanish equivalent websites for Parker's guide for cars such as "coches.net", "km77.com", "Autobild.es" and "Autocasion.com" which provides information and reviews on various types of cars, including new and used models, as well as pricing information. Hope this helps.

· Registered
3,425 Posts
That link, whilst a Government link, bears no relation to reality. Just valued a car that I'm looking at and it was showing only 30% value of many others on sites like milanuncios, autoscout24 etc.
Yes, the official valuations (valor venal) are much lower than the market value, but it is what Spanish officialdom uses to determine the values. This valuation allows for depreciation over 10 years only. After 10 years the car is deemed to have only a residual value, so the depreciation curve is much steeper than for real market value.

Sometimes it goes in your favour and you pay tranmission tax on the offcial value, valor venal, of the car, not the value you actually paid, which is normally much more.
But sometimes it goes against you, like if your car is a total loss and the insurers only pay the valor venal, and not what it actually costs you to replace it with an equivalent car.

If the OP wants to argue that the valor venal is not real and representative of the real market value of the car then he can try to use the websites mentioned by edmondpogi, but really these are just sites which list the asking price for cars. I can post my 2016 VW Touran on Autobild tomorrow for 12,000€, but it doesn't mean that its worth that. The other party, if interested in a low value, will just point to the official valor venal and reject any counter argument.

· Registered
111 Posts
I am assuming that the OP wants a valuation as a requirement of division of assests for a divorce. If the divorce is amicable then you are basically told to just agree the value of things with your partner and then get the lawyer to draw up the divorce document. No one really cares about exact valuations when it comes to non cash items and most Spanish keep everything as low as is reasonably possible to avoid high taxes. Remember divorce is different in spain and whilst it is easy to obtain and cheap you are taxed on the division of assets - unlike in UK. Giving your ex something like the car or family house that was joint owned is a taxable gift in spain even in divorce.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts