Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have formulated a plan (today) to take a sabbatical in Paris for maybe 3 months.

I am having difficulty searching the property market. I assume I just haven't found the best rentals website as the ones I have found (like pap.fr and seloger.com) are really really bad.

Whats the best site to use? And will €600-800 p/m get me a decent lttle studio/1 bed with proper and kithen and shower in one of the more central arrondissements? Becuase what I have turned up so far is way short of what I could get for the same price in London which doesnt sound right!

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks.

G

·
And will €600-800 p/m get me a decent lttle studio/1 bed with proper and kithen and shower in one of the more central arrondissements? Becuase what I have turned up so far is way short of what I could get for the same price in London which doesnt sound right!
Are you sure you are comparing like with like? Because if you've checked out the rates in, say, Vauxhall, and have found a place you like at no. *32, Avenue Montaigne (8e), Paris is definitely going to work out more expensive ;)

* (you would have a rather chic neighbour by the name of Christian something or other....)

What can you get for £450 -£650 a month in Chelsea these days, though? A broom cupboard? :D

·
Registered
169 Posts
And will €600-800 p/m get me a decent lttle studio/1 bed with proper and kithen and shower in one of the more central arrondissements? Becuase what I have turned up so far is way short of what I could get for the same price in London which doesnt sound right!
Can you really get a studio for that price in Central London? Zoopla gives average monthly rents for Area 1 (Central London, mainly north of the river) as
1331 pounds a month for studios and 1179 for 1-beds, and for Area 2 (further out) as 863 pounds a month for studios and 1122 pounds for 1-beds.

When researching on the internet (for a relative who fancied studying in Paris) I've seen studios near the Sorbonne for around 850 euros inc. electricity per month. Don't know what state they'd be in, though - didn't go after them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm.

Well the place I am in now is right in the centre of highly sought after Camden. I can hit the tube, three supermarkets, bars and every other amenity with a stone. The place is teeny tiny (can't be more than 20sqm) but it is nicely equipped and finished. Cost £780 (€900 ... lease signed well before the recession). Head out a little and get lucky and you'll find a decent "studio" for €800 I am sure.

My issue with the Paris studios that I have seen in my extensive 2 hour search :eek: is that they are not properly built/renovated for the purpose of habitation. A hotplate and free standing sink with no work top is not enough of a kitchen for €850 (in my humble opinion).

I thought it would be possible to get something basic but properly finished for 600-800 but I guess I'll be lucky eh?

Hmm. Perhaps my cunning escape plan needs some refinement. I'd hate to have to live outside of the capital, but perhaps I need to consider a different city. Aww.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hmm.

Well the place I am in now is right in the centre of highly sought after Camden. I can hit the tube, three supermarkets, bars and every other amenity with a stone. The place is teeny tiny (can't be more than 20sqm) but it is nicely equipped and finished. Cost £780 (€900 ... lease signed well before the recession). Head out a little and get lucky and you'll find a decent "studio" for €800 I am sure.

My issue with the Paris studios that I have seen in my extensive 2 hour search :eek: is that they are not properly built/renovated for the purpose of habitation. A hotplate and free standing sink with no work top is not enough of a kitchen for €850 (in my humble opinion).

I thought it would be possible to get something basic but properly finished for 600-800 but I guess I'll be lucky eh?

Hmm. Perhaps my cunning escape plan needs some refinement. I'd hate to have to live outside of the capital, but perhaps I need to consider a different city. Aww.
Paris city is expensive.

Outskirts, eastern suburbs, fairly inexpensive.

For example, at 550 €/mois:

Au 1er dans pavillon. Studio indépendant, entièrement rénové,... | PAP.fr

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, so I think I'm starting to figure out some of the keywords for finding property websites in Paris, and have turned up a few more promoising places than yesterday for under 800 ...

But may I ask a naive question. What the hell do agency fees mean? I'm seeing places that are advertising rent: 750, charges: 50 (what does this mean while we're at it?), and agenecy fees: 1050.

Does this mean I have to pay the agent a grand??

I've not lived many places, just London and Dublin, but they both have mental property markets, and I have never encountered agency fees before, nevermind such big ones.

Is this normal for Paris :(

·
Administrator
50,375 Posts
But may I ask a naive question. What the hell do agency fees mean? I'm seeing places that are advertising rent: 750, charges: 50 (what does this mean while we're at it?), and agenecy fees: 1050.

Does this mean I have to pay the agent a grand??
(
Yup. Charges are the monthly utilities that are part and parcel of the rental. It varies, but usually includes heat, hot water, sometimes electricity.

And agency fees are exactly what you think - how the estate agent who handles the rental makes their living. It's a one-time charge, usually 1 to 2 months' rent, for showing you the apartment and handling the paperwork.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.