Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I just returned after validating my Visa from Aust.

Now I want to file visa for my parents as well...whats the procedure for doing that ? Also, how long does it take to get parents Visa.

Also, does it help my case if I am the only only child of my parents ? will it be quicker for me ?

Please suggest.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hi Guys,

Now I want to file visa for my parents as well...whats the procedure for doing that ? Also, how long does it take to get parents Visa.

Also, does it help my case if I am the only only child of my parents ? will it be quicker for me ?

Please suggest.
Didn't they already stop issuing parents visa from 1-2 years back? I am okay to stand corrected, but as far as my knowledge goes, this is no longer an option.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hi Guys,

Please suggest.
you have two options

103 Parent Visa

https://www.immi.gov.au/visas/Pages/103.aspx

This has waiting time of 20+ years , so i think this is not a option anymore.

The other one is

https://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/143.aspx

This though is faster , takes around 2 to 3 years. But you need to shell out around 50,000 AUD plus you need to fulfill the family balance tree, since you are only child you need to show dependency of parent on you.

You have to pay this on two installments the first installment is around 2000 AUD which is non refundable to be paid during the lodging of the visa. Second installment is to be paid in entire amount when they accept the visa and proceed with the grant.

There is also temporary contributory parent

https://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/173.aspx

which just gives you extra 2 years to pay the balance amount .
So you shall be paying around 25 + 25 in span of two years to get the permanent visa
Another point is that your parent must be free of any major ailment to get the visa.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi, I just have one question about filing for a parent visa, what if you do that before a 2 year period in which you're supposed yo be settled? Can this be done in a shorter period of time? Does anyone know?

·
Registered
460 Posts
No you need to be settled first...so you can't apply until you have been living there for two years. There is no priority for only children

·
Registered
64 Posts
But I read in one of their legal forms, that in some compelling circumstances the 2 years period can be shorter, I just though someone might have been through something similar, even a lawyer once told me he's seen people do it in 3 months, I just wanted to see how often the frequency is...what is the point of leaving your parents alone when there is nobody to take care of them..

·
Registered
460 Posts
But I read in one of their legal forms, that in some compelling circumstances the 2 years period can be shorter, I just though someone might have been through something similar, even a lawyer once told me he's seen people do it in 3 months, I just wanted to see how often the frequency is...what is the point of leaving your parents alone when there is nobody to take care of them..

Compelling reasons ....your (PR holder) wife has died and you have two children...so you need your parents here ASAP. Every applicant wants their parents here quickly you are not any more special than anyone else.

Not to sound harsh but you made the decision to migrate without your parents....you are choosing to leave them alone in a country by themselves....you cannot ask a country to make exceptions because you made a mistake, if you truely cannot leave them alone then you return home. Simple.

·
Registered
64 Posts
No migrating is not making a mistake, I was an immigrant in Canada once in 2004, had a job immediately in a leading international firm, the parents visa was not limited to any time frame, just that you have a job, and a good income, I believe that should be it...waiting periods do not make any sense to me, since we are paying substantial amounts of money, paying tax...etc..

·
Registered
460 Posts
The parent visa is different in that your parents can remain in Australia once they have it and you have left ...so using the Canadian example...you could get a job, have them come over on the visa and then quit your job and go to another country leaving Australia to look after your parents. By having a settling time for you there is a much greater chance that you will be sticking around for some time and so be the one paying taxes etc that your parents will be using as they grow older

·
Registered
64 Posts
Ok, I understand that, but I wish if there was a way to get my parents with me immediately, again I will be using the Canadian example, the parents super visa is a visit visa where they can stay with you for up to 10 years, of course you'd have to buy them a medical insurance then, and the Canadians later cancelled the permanent parents visa, true due to long queues or other reasons, but there should be a way for parents to be with their children..and the super visa is a good way, I wish the Australians had it, along with the contributory parents visa...

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
Disclaimer: I have two aging parents (and one widow mother-in-law) that I also want to bring to Australia, so please do not think that my direct answer is insensitive. I can relate

Australia owes me, you, or any migrant NOTHING when it comes to family other than spouse and dependent children.

If they allow all migrants to bring in parents in a short time, the demographic pyramid will skew and in a few years millions of aging, ailing parents who are - to the government - nothing but a burden on healthcare, public funds, and infrastructure. They will come to Australia, not work, and get benefits.

All of us know (or should've known) that we are not entitled to bring in parents that fast or that cheap. It's so simple.

And yes as Scattley explained, parents being alone back home is not compelling or compassionate. You have to wait the two years, then apply and wait another 12-18 months for visa processing.

·
Registered
240 Posts
You have to keep in mind that you are choosing to migrate to a country which has a culture which may be very different to that of your current country. Where as a rule, parents and adult children live independently. Where men and women are expected by the government to work to at least 65 and in the future to 70 before they can access government aged benefits. Where the cost of aged care is increasingly being paid by the consumer. Where in Sydney the cost of a bond to enter an aged care faciity is often around $600,000 and the cost of private nursing is about $5,000 per week.
Rightly or wrongly this country chooses immigrants to benefit rather than burden our economy. And if you choose this country as your destination you have to work within this framework.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Ok, all I am saying is that we do not want to use any benefits, we will pay for them, just that there should be a way like an extended visit visa where you will have no benefits of course, still paying taxes, and private insurance, again the Canadian example for a super visa is good.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ok, all I am saying is that we do not want to use any benefits, we will pay for them, just that there should be a way like an extended visit visa where you will have no benefits of course, still paying taxes, and private insurance, again the Canadian example for a super visa is good.
What you are saying does make sense and what other members are saying is pretty logical and factual too. Just wanted to add, the Australian authorities have got no issues with parents coming here on visit visas. Yes, it's not as good as that Canadian option of 10 years. I called my mum here for a visit only 7 months after I moved to Australia. She stayed here for 6 months. I applied again, 6 months after she left and she got it approved again for another 3 months. It is little expensive and bit hard for aged parents to travel and is limited to few months but still there is a way at least. I feel very grateful for having this option and I believe that as long as my mum will have good record of complying with the visa conditions, she'd not have any issues in getting the visit visas in future too. God bless our parents :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts