Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am starting this thread to discuss parent's movement to Australia - available visa/PR options, health facilities, adjustment issues.

I got 189 PR in Sept 2016 for myself, wife and daughter. I am the only child left for my parents and need to look after them. I want to move to Australia but not sure how to take parents along and would it be possible to provide health facilities to them.

Any views are more than welcome!

Regards

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
You can sponsor them for a parent visa after you have been settled in Australia for 2 years. The Contributory Parent Visa takes currently about 3 years to be processed and is the fastest visa although it is the more expensive (approx. $50K AUD per parent). The non-contributory parent visa is slower (likely 10+ years) but it costs about $4K AUD per parent.

·
Registered
7 Posts
As Maggie-May24 said you can apply for a parental visa once you've lived in Australia for 2 years. This visa can take as long as 3 years to be granted from the time of the application. Depending on your parents' age, you may be able to apply onshore while they're in Australia on a visitor’s visa (that is not subject to an 8503 restriction). This means you could also apply for a bridging visa so your parents can remain with you in Australia while they're waiting for their visa to be granted. However, if their visitor’s visa is subject to an 8503 restriction then your parents must apply offshore and ask for a long stay visitor’s visa. This would give your parents the ability to stay in Australia for up to 12 months at a time while they wait for the main visa to be granted.

·
Registered
770 Posts
You can sponsor them for a parent visa after you have been settled in Australia for 2 years. The Contributory Parent Visa takes currently about 3 years to be processed and is the fastest visa although it is the more expensive (approx. $50K AUD per parent). The non-contributory parent visa is slower (likely 10+ years) but it costs about $4K AUD per parent.
Any visa or option available if someone is not able prove balancy test. Like in my case, my three sisters are in India, while my fourth sister is a Australian citizen and I will be to Australia on PR shortly. So, out of 5 children three are at India and two at Australia, but my parents are totally dependent upon me.

·
Super Moderator
5,693 Posts
Any visa or option available if someone is not able prove balancy test. Like in my case, my three sisters are in India, while my fourth sister is a Australian citizen and I will be to Australia on PR shortly. So, out of 5 children three are at India and two at Australia, but my parents are totally dependent upon me.
Try the Bringing Parents to Australia thread in this sticky post:
http://www.expatforum.com/expats/au...-australia-what-you-need-know-read-first.html

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
As Maggie-May24 said you can apply for a parental visa once you've lived in Australia for 2 years. This visa can take as long as 3 years to be granted from the time of the application. Depending on your parents' age, you may be able to apply onshore while they're in Australia on a visitor’s visa (that is not subject to an 8503 restriction). This means you could also apply for a bridging visa so your parents can remain with you in Australia while they're waiting for their visa to be granted. However, if their visitor’s visa is subject to an 8503 restriction then your parents must apply offshore and ask for a long stay visitor’s visa. This would give your parents the ability to stay in Australia for up to 12 months at a time while they wait for the main visa to be granted.
Curious to know under which circumstances does visitor visa not come with 8503?

·
Super Moderator
5,693 Posts
Any insider news about the proposed temporary (3 years and 5 years) visas for parents? :rolleyes:
You'd have to ask an insider! :) :p

The Bill that includes this visa class - it's the (Migration Amendment (Family Violence and Other Measures) Bill 2016) - is currently on the list of legislation to be considered by Parliament.

It was presented last year, a report was requested and tabled, then the legislation was passed by the House of Reps. It went to the Senate but passage of the Bill lapsed due to the dissolution of Parliament last year.

It is currently on the Notice Paper for Bills to be presented, but when that means it will be back as a Bill for the Senate to consider, no idea. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts