Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I am going to apply for spouse visa but the only concern I have is that I am living with my parents who are on housing benefit, although I pay full rent to my room to my mums bank account as she is the lease holder.
Do they accept as accommodation for my to be wife or do I have to do anything else?
Please help

·
Registered
39,121 Posts
Your parents on HB is no concern. Much more important is you have the landlord's permission for your wife to move in, and that the house won't be overcrowded, so a property inspection report is a very good idea. Though this has nothing to do with visa application, your parents should let the council know as soon as your wife moves in, as it may change their entitlement. Not notifying a change in circumstance is an offence.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks for replying,
Where can I get the inspection done?

Thanks again it was a big relief.
The Property Inspection Report can normally be done by the local Council. It carries a fee of between around £60 - 200 depending on area. If you search the local Council website, you should be able to find some information on it - things like how long from booking to appointment and what to expect, along with how long after the inspection you can expect to receive the report.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Property Inspection Report can normally be done by the local Council. It carries a fee of between around £60 - 200 depending on area. If you search the local Council website, you should be able to find some information on it - things like how long from booking to appointment and what to expect, along with how long after the inspection you can expect to receive the report.
I couldn't find any thing on the website, so I gave them a call, they don't know anything about property inspection report.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I couldn't find any thing on the website, so I gave them a call, they don't know anything about property inspection report.
Not all local Councils offer them. If the Council isn't an option, there are various companies that offer them; an internet search should get you started to find some in your local area.

Something I noticed when searching before finding my Council offered them was that each company provides the report with a different length of validity, some six months and others only three, so that's something to be aware of.

I remember seeing a letter template on the UKBA website for contacting your local Council to get them to confirm that there would be no over-crowding for immigration application purposes, that might be worth having a look at as well - it costs nothing to send them a letter afterall and might end up saving you money on the fees from a different company. It's in one of the supporting documents for family members PDFs.

I'm sure more experienced posters will be able to provide additional guidance from their own experience.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.