Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Forum Members,

I intend to apply for my skill assessment at ACS for ICT business analyst.

Overall plan is to apply for the 189 skilled independent visa.

While applying for my PR, can I declare my parents as dependents or is it restricted only to my spouse and kids ?

If not, is there a way I can sponsor their PR once I migrate to Australia ?

Would help if you could share relevant link which answers the above directly.

Cheers,
Varun

·
Registered
460 Posts
If both parents are alive you cannot claim them as dependents - as they are considered to be each others dependents in Australian immigration standards.

Once you have lived in Australia as a PR for two years and IF you have no other siblings living outside of Australia then you can sponsor them on a contributory visa but this will cost them 110K for a couple (that is not a misprint). As they are not able to get a visa on their own, and they are old and unlikely to work for 40 years or so (and pay taxes) they are going to be a huge drain on the Australian government - so this fee is to help pay what they are going to cost.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a lot for the inputs.

Will this 110K for a couple cover the health care benefits which any Australian PR/Citizen enjoy?

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
If both parents are alive you cannot claim them as dependents - as they are considered to be each others dependents in Australian immigration standards.

Once you have lived in Australia as a PR for two years and IF you have no other siblings living outside of Australia then you can sponsor them on a contributory visa but this will cost them 110K for a couple (that is not a misprint). As they are not able to get a visa on their own, and they are old and unlikely to work for 40 years or so (and pay taxes) they are going to be a huge drain on the Australian government - so this fee is to help pay what they are going to cost.

one sibling outside Australia is fine (if it's only the two of you, or two outside and two inside ...etc.) , since 50% of children (the sponsor) are in Australia. I checked it out thoroughly because this is myself as well as my wife's case should we ever need to bring our parents

·
Registered
535 Posts

Hi Scattley,

Any of this 110k is refundable after any number of years? Thanks.

·
Registered
460 Posts
No that amount is not refundable (even if a parent does within a couple of years). There is a bond of $10k which I think is also payable and after 10 years if the parent has not had any Medicare or support payments then it is refunded (or the portion not used is) but for all intensive purposes, the visa fee is not refundable.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
The whole point of this large payment is to pay upfront for service such as health care, welfare, nursing care etc. That is given the elderly parents are unlikely to pay any tax in Australia yet are proven high service users with many needs which need taking care of for ever longer periods of time given life expectancy has improved so much in developed countries and retirement age is not moving as quickly.
People are spending 30+ years as retired needing income support in some form and many health needs taking care of. Where it was and still is in developing countries 10 years or less.

Yes the bond, which is in addition to the large fee, is repayable but only if they have not claimed any centrelink or health related payments.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Can the parents come and stay for short period? like visit visa ?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Mr

Hi,

I cleared my PTE so soon will be filing my application. My wife and my son will join me. I want to know whether my mother can also join as my dependent. My father passed away one year back and she is getting old. She works as a full time teacher. Can she be considered as my dependent? What all documents do I need to produce for her to qualify her to be by dependent?

Your help will be much appreciated.

Thanks
M

·
Registered
3,427 Posts

Read my post in another thread relating to Parents as dependent.

189 Visa Lodge 2015 Gang

Hi,

I cleared my PTE so soon will be filing my application. My wife and my son will join me. I want to know whether my mother can also join as my dependent. My father passed away one year back and she is getting old. She works as a full time teacher. Can she be considered as my dependent? What all documents do I need to produce for her to qualify her to be by dependent?

Thanks
M

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Hi,

Thanks
M
To include your mother, you'd need to demonstrate she's been completely reliant on you for at least the past 12 months. If she is working full time, she'd fail that requirement.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts