Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, first post here.

My wife and I are from the uk, have full Aussie citizenship, we had a baby a few months ago and now grandparents wish to move to aus.

My mother and father had cancer (mum about 5 years clear, dad only had last op a month or so ago, would anyone know what are the chances of obtaining a visa?

Thanks for any help

Oh, and happy new year!

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi Shanks,

if their cancer has been treated with no re-occurrence after a certain time there should be no reason why it would be a problem. However, you will either need to cough up a significant amount of cash for a contributory parent visa or face a looooong wait. To quote from the Parent Visa Queue page:

Based on current planning levels, if you are applying for a Parent (non-contributory) visa you can expect an approximate 13 year wait before visa grant consideration after being allocated a queue date. [...]

Based on current planning levels if you are a new Contributory Parent visa applicant, you can expect to wait 12 to 24 months before visa grant consideration, depending on your circumstances.
At the moment a contributory parent visa costs more than 42,000AUD per parent. As an alternative (or intermediate solution) your parents can come over on a visitor visa for 3-12 months to spend time with their grandchild. They have to return to the UK afterwards, though.

Cheers,
Monika

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that, jees, that's a lot of time / money... Will have to sit down and have a chat...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts