Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I applied for parent visa 103 couple of years ago. But the waiting time is too long. I paid $5k + for my father and mother.

Now, I am thinking to apply 143 (contributory) instead.
Do I have to pay another application fee? I mean, will I lose that 5k?

I know that, after first approval, I need to pay huge amount of $$ for that 143 visa.

How about new temporary parent visa?
I understand, for 10 years (1 renewal after 5 years)
- $20k each...so $40k for both parent??
- Have to maintain private health care. which will be $3500 per year for couple (Bupa) means- $35000 over 10 years!!
- What happens after 10 years? Can they apply any other visa, such as 143 visa?

·
Super Moderator
5,704 Posts
Hi,
I applied for parent visa 103 couple of years ago. But the waiting time is too long. I paid $5k + for my father and mother.

Now, I am thinking to apply 143 (contributory) instead.
Do I have to pay another application fee? I mean, will I lose that 5k?

I know that, after first approval, I need to pay huge amount of $$ for that 143 visa.

How about new temporary parent visa?
I understand, for 10 years (1 renewal after 5 years)
- $20k each...so $40k for both parent??
- Have to maintain private health care. which will be $3500 per year for couple (Bupa) means- $35000 over 10 years!!
- What happens after 10 years? Can they apply any other visa, such as 143 visa?

http://www.expatforum.com/expats/au...5098-tbc-temporary-sponsored-parent-visa.html

http://www.expatforum.com/expats/au...ralia/1270122-bringing-parents-australia.html

If you apply for the 143 you will lose the payment for the 103. The 143 will be much faster, of course.

Details for the Temporary Parent Visa have not been finalised yet, as the bill (law) creating this visa has yet to be passed. There may be alterations, and although it is unlikely, it is also possible the bill might not be passed.

As you say, the Temporary Parent Visa for 2 Parents would cost $40,000 for 10 years plus Australian Private Health Insurance. The Sponsor (I assume that would be you) must have lived in Australia for 4 years.

After the 10 year maximum period of 2 Temporary Parent Visas, your Parents could apply for any other visa, just as now.

The risk of course is that by that time, or even after 5 years, one or both of your Parent might fail the medicals, and not be able to get any visa.

Changes in the 2017 Budget, if passed, also mean that if your Parents lived continuously in Australia for 10 years as Permanent Residents (that is, if they got the 143 Visa) and did not get any activity-tested income support payment such as Newstart Allowance during that period, they might be eligible for Age Pensions, depending on their income and assets. If they did receive any activity-tested income support payments, they would need to have 15 years of continuous Australian residency (of course you can still travel overseas for holidays, etc) before becoming eligible.

There is of course no Age Pension eligibility with the Temporary Parent Visa.

The 143 Visa, although expensive, is actually very good value. It gives Medicare access right from the start, Permanent Residency, no worries about whether your Parents can meet Health requirements for future visa applications, possibly Age Pensions (after a long wait) and a pathway to Australian Citizenship if desired. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 143 Visa, although expensive, is actually very good value. It gives Medicare access right from the start, Permanent Residency, no worries about whether your Parents can meet Health requirements for future visa applications, possibly Age Pensions (after a long wait) and a pathway to Australian Citizenship if desired. :)
Kaju, thanks so much for your reply. I have some additional question regarding 143 visa-

I have a sister who is 20 years old, fully dependent on my parents. Full time uni student.
Can I include her in the application?

In worst scenario, if she's rejected, can my parents still get visa? Or, is it like..when rejected..all of applicants are rejected?

·
Super Moderator
5,704 Posts
Kaju, thanks so much for your reply. I have some additional question regarding 143 visa-

I have a sister who is 20 years old, fully dependent on my parents. Full time uni student.
Can I include her in the application?

In worst scenario, if she's rejected, can my parents still get visa? Or, is it like..when rejected..all of applicants are rejected?
If your parents apply for a 143 visa, and your sister is considered to be dependent on them, and is not engaged or married or living defacto with a partner, then yes, as long as she is dependent on them and under 23 she can be included in their application.

If your sister was not dependent on your parents she would have to be withdrawn from the application but the application would not be refused if that happened, your parents' application would still be valid. :)

https://www.border.gov.au/Migrationagents/Pages/member-of-family-unit.aspx

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.