Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My own skill visa is in process. However, a couple of years in the future i would be looking forward to sponsor my mother on a "Contributory visa".

She has diabetes (well controlled, no serious complications) and has hypothyroidism (for which she basically takes a pill every day - end of story). She has no infectious diseases and is otherwise active and healthy.

1. how likely is it she will be able to pass the health requirements for "Contributory visa"?

2. will she be fully covered under Medicare once granted the visa?

3. will i be asked to pay anything else, such as "assurance of support", on top of the visa fees?

Thank you very much for your support!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
She is probably fine with the Health Criteria.
She will be eligible for Medicare on grant, but not social security benefits for 2 years (I think)
The Assurance of Support is a $10K Bond (1st applicant). Which is refunded after 10 years (no interest). If she applies for social security benefits, they will come out of your Assurance of Support.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She is probably fine with the Health Criteria.
She will be eligible for Medicare on grant, but not social security benefits for 2 years (I think)
The Assurance of Support is a $10K Bond (1st applicant). Which is refunded after 10 years (no interest). If she applies for social security benefits, they will come out of your Assurance of Support.
Thank you very much for your reply. This is much helpful. Much appreciated.

(Somehow I had missed your reply, hence the repeated request I had put down for someone to reply. I apologise for the oversight.)

Should she somehow fail the Health criteria, is there is any other way to overcome this, such as purchasing private health insurance?

Would this be a good backup plan?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts