Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me how long it will take for a parcel sent airmail to arrive in Australia from France. I was offered 3 tariffs for my 1.5 kg parcel at the post office. I picked the middle one which cost me 39 euros!I think it was called chronopost or something like that. The postmistress seemed to be saying it would take 10 days but that was 12 days ago and it hasn't arrived yet. The priority post would have cost 150 euros and apparently takes 5 days. Thanks.

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
You should have the docket with the tracking number on it. If you go into LaPoste.fr, you can follow where the parcel is - here's the link: Particulier : suivez tous vos envois avec l

According to their site, your parcel should've arrived in around 4 days.

If you look at the T&C, you'll find that you can reclaim the cost of postage if you go into the Post Office, because it hasn't been delivered within their "guaranteed" timescale - I think (there are some exclusions). When I was regularly sending parcels down to Corsica, the first (& subsequent) parcel arrived outside their timescale, so I got a voucher to send another parcel - from anywhere in France to anywhere in France (incl. Corsica) up to 25kg. That next one arrived late; repeat exercise; 'nuther voucher ... and so it went on. I think I sent about 8 parcels down there, only ever having paid for the first one :D

You also don't have to have paid extra for their "insurance" (unless the parcel contained really expensive things) because you're automatically covered in any recorded post (which includes the kind of parcel you're talking about) up to 23E/kg (I think) in the cost of postage itself.

hils

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Oh :(

I've just looked at all the small print in their T&C for International; you might not be covered - but it's worth asking ...

hils

·
Super Moderator
5,693 Posts
According to their site, your parcel should've arrived in around 4 days.

hils
I'm probably wrong but might the 150E option (not taken) have been for the 4-ish days Chronopost service, and the next level down (maybe glynis got this service?) for the Fast Priority Colissimo service taking maybe 5 to 9 working days (so up to pretty much 2 full weeks), as opposed to the cheapest Priority Colissimo service of 5 to 15 working days...?

Sometimes the local Australia Post/Express Post couriers that get the local delivery can miss a day too, they may only get the ultra quick Chronopost and the rest might go with Parcel Post vans, or it can be slow through customs, but in theory if they say 9 working days it would certainly be due right about now!
:confused:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm probably wrong but might the 150E option (not taken) have been for the 4-ish days Chronopost service, and the next level down (maybe glynis got this service?) for the Fast Priority Colissimo service taking maybe 5 to 9 working days (so up to pretty much 2 full weeks), as opposed to the cheapest Priority Colissimo service of 5 to 15 working days...?

Sometimes the local Australia Post/Express Post couriers that get the local delivery can miss a day too, they may only get the ultra quick Chronopost and the rest might go with Parcel Post vans, or it can be slow through customs, but in theory if they say 9 working days it would certainly be due right about now!
:confused:
I think you are right that I used Fast Priority Colissimo as I have now looked at my docket and gone on the tracking service as suggested by hils, which says my parcel was delivered on the 19th - only I've checked with the intended recipient and she hasn't seen it or been left any notice of where its to be collected. I've posted an email to their customer services to try and find out whats happened. Its supposed to be a signed for parcel, so a bit worrying.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Parcel arrived!

Thought you might like to know the parcel turned up today. Don't know if it was as a result of my email to la poste customer services. According to tracking it arrived in Australia a week ago so don't know where its been in the meantime. Thanks for your advices.

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Pleased it arrived :)

·
Super Moderator
5,693 Posts
Ditto! Happy it all worked out, glynis.

Sometimes an Australia Post regular package from Sydney to Perth takes a week, the same time as it does for letters from Europe. The mail here is getting a lot more expensive, and they're finding it hard to get delivery people, and it does seem to have slowed down internally over the past year or two. Maybe I should jump off my 1150cc bike and take a little 110cc postie bike, wages pretty bad but I wouldn't mind tootling around the neighborhood...

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Ditto! Happy it all worked out, glynis.

Sometimes an Australia Post regular package from Sydney to Perth takes a week, the same time as it does for letters from Europe. The mail here is getting a lot more expensive, and they're finding it hard to get delivery people, and it does seem to have slowed down internally over the past year or two. Maybe I should jump off my 1150cc bike and take a little 110cc postie bike, wages pretty bad but I wouldn't mind tootling around the neighborhood...
The problem is much of Australia Post is outsourced to privately run outlets and they say they don't get paid anywhere near enough to handle parcels especially with internet purchasing reaching high levels. Last time I was at an Aust Post outlet they told me a week from the Gold Coast to Sydney to return my CanalSat receiver, and it cost a fortune. If the parcel arrived in Oz a week ago, the problem is with Australia Post.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.