Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Panamerican Games opened last night in Toronto. Athletes and fans from the continent I love in the city I love. There is also a simultaneous music and arts festival, Panamania, with some great groups from Latin America, including Cafe Tacuba from Mexico, also Lila Downs, Amanda Martinez, and Calle 13. I'm looking forward to a great month!

Mexico just won Gold and Silver in men's diving, with Canada taking Bronze.

·
Super Moderator
Guadalajara, México
7,056 Posts
The Panamerican Games opened last night in Toronto. Athletes and fans from the continent I love in the city I love. There is also a simultaneous music and arts festival, Panamania, with some great groups from Latin America, including Cafe Tacuba from Mexico, also Lila Downs, Amanda Martinez, and Calle 13. I'm looking forward to a great month!

Mexico just won Gold and Silver in men's diving, with Canada taking Bronze.
I worked as a translator and interpreter for the last PanAm Games which were in Guadalajara four years ago.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mexico currently has most medals total

Current medal count:

CANADA: 8 total, 4 Gold, 2 Silver, 2 Bronze
MEXICO: 9 total, 3 Gold, 4 Silver, 2 Bronze
USA: 8 total, 3 Gold, 1 Silver, 4 Bronze

Go, Teams, Go!

Having close ties to all 3 countries, I'm an equal opportunity cheerer - unless it's ice hockey, then I'm 100% Canadian. I just really enjoy seeing these young athletes with their passion and dedication giving it their all.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Current medal standings

1. CANADA: Total 37: Gold 15, Silver 12, Bronze 10
2. USA: Total 30: Gold 10, Silver 8, Bronze 12
3. COLOMBIA: Total 21: Gold 9, Silver 6, Bronze 6
4. MEXICO: Total 26: Gold 8, Silver 6, Bronze 12

Mexico has done well in aquatics. 9 of Mexico's medals are in Diving, 5 Golds, 1 Silver, 3 Bronze, plus 2 Silvers in Synchronized swimming. Mexico also got Gold and Bronze in Men's Triathlon and Silver in Women's Triathlon.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We attended a Taekwondo Competition at Pan Am Games last night, and it was so much fun. Mexico won Gold in men's, Silver in women's. They almost took double Gold, but the Cuban competitor literally managed to get a kick in the last few seconds that put her in the lead over Mexican Itzel Manjarrez. Mexico had been ahead nearly the entire match and Gold looked like a sure thing until the very end. It's never over until it's over.

The Men's Gold was won by Carlos Navarro. We were sitting right in front of the Mexican fan contingent, which included many of the competitors' family and friends, complete with Mexican flags, sombreros, renditions of "Cielito Lindo" and an abundance of spirit. By the end of the evening they were hoarse from such vigorous cheering (me too). It was very fun and emotional. I even spoke briefly to Carlos Navarro's mother after the competition (unaware initially that she was his mother). We had on Canada shirts, but cheered vigorously for Mexico. ¡Viva el multiculturalismo!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts