Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Is it true that once you and your partner have PACS'd your are eligible for free french courses? If any one has heard of this or has taken advantage of this please tell me where I can find more information.

Mainly I would like to know, it it is full time french courses offered or is it once or twice a week?

Thank you,

Juliette

·
Administrator
50,441 Posts
Not really.

Once you and your partner have PACS'd you still have to wait out your current long-stay visa before you can apply for a change of status on renewal. At that point, if you have to go through the OFII process like someone on a spouse visa, then the issue of the free French classes will come up. They are based on the evaluation of your level of French - and if you have to take them, they are usually "full time" classes - 6 hours a day.

The other approach is after you have your change in status, to talk to the Pole Emploi people and ask about French language classes for those looking for employment.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not really.

Once you and your partner have PACS'd you still have to wait out your current long-stay visa before you can apply for a change of status on renewal. At that point, if you have to go through the OFII process like someone on a spouse visa, then the issue of the free French classes will come up. They are based on the evaluation of your level of French - and if you have to take them, they are usually "full time" classes - 6 hours a day.

The other approach is after you have your change in status, to talk to the Pole Emploi people and ask about French language classes for those looking for employment.
Cheers,
Bev

Hi Bev,

With that being said, If I choose the option of getting a long stay visiter visa, PACS as soon as I arrive, I would still have to wait 1 year before I would be eligible for the free french course? We were trying to chose the most cost-effective option, but at the same time I don't want to be sitting around for a year doing nothing. In the research we did we saw that getting the visitor visa was the most common approach when people were moving to be with their bf/gf. Do you have any experience or suggestions with getting the long stay student visa and then PACSing without me having to return to Canada in the process?

Thanks,

Juliette

·
Administrator
50,441 Posts
Hi Bev,

With that being said, If I choose the option of getting a long stay visiter visa, PACS as soon as I arrive, I would still have to wait 1 year before I would be eligible for the free french course? We were trying to chose the most cost-effective option, but at the same time I don't want to be sitting around for a year doing nothing. In the research we did we saw that getting the visitor visa was the most common approach when people were moving to be with their bf/gf. Do you have any experience or suggestions with getting the long stay student visa and then PACSing without me having to return to Canada in the process?

Thanks,

Juliette
If you PACS (or marry, for that matter) any time during your long-term visa term, you will have to wait until your titre de séjour (basically, your residence permit) is up for renewal before you can change status.

I know you can change status from a student visa (long-stay, renewable) if you get married. I suspect the same is true for getting PACS'd - but the same rules apply. You can only change status when the visa you're on is up for renewal.

If you are using a visitor visa as a "fiancé" visa, you should get married within the first six months of arrival. This is because to change status, they require at least six months of provable co-habitation. Several folks through here have indicated that to change status based on a PACS, you must show a full year of co-habitation before they will process a change in status.

And if you're doing this primarily for the free French classes, just be advised that it takes only a very basic knowledge of French to be exempted from the classes altogether. This is evaluated at your OFII visit connected with your status change (i.e. to spouse of a French national - not sure whether a PACS partner goes through the same process).

If it's cheap French classes you're looking for, ask at the mairie or if you're in the Paris area, check out an association called ALFAP (located in the Palaiseau area, south of Paris on the RER line B).
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
NOMB I know :behindsofa: but at first sight this seems a bizarrely counter-productive approach if you really want to learn French. Rather than 'sitting around for a year doing nothing' in the expectation of being offered free French lessons in a year's time - how about, if you're in France, getting out and talking to people and maybe buying a commercial French course, and with a bit of help from your (I presume) French partner, you would pick up a lot of French in a year. Probably more than you're likely to learn in a class of absolute beginners, and it will be less like hard work.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'd also like to add that my husband's state-mandated French classes were not helpful in terms of learning the language; they basically told them they didn't have time to teach them proper French, assumed a base level of French, and ran it as more of a "life skills" class. This may not be the case for all classes, but it was his experience.

If you're looking to learn French on the cheap I'd recommend using a combination of books, podcasts, and online resources, but nothing really compares to coming here and using it on a daily basis with actual people.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.