Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called the Tribunal at 11eme arrondissement to get an appointment to get PACS with my French boyfriend.

The receptionist told me that I need to gather all the paperworks done FIRST before I can get the appointment.
However, I was told by my embassy that I need to set the date with the tribunal first before getting the documents.

Can someone please verify this?

And how long does it take to obtain an appointment at 11eme?

Thanks

G

·
There's an explanation of what to do, in which order, on this site. It suggests that you should get the paperwork together first before getting your appointment, which makes some sense.

G

·
That said, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to make the appointment first, after all there's a long wait for the tribunal appointment in some parts, up to three months in some cases from a brief search on the web...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi frogblogger,

Exactly! That's what I told the lady at the tribunal but she insists that I get all papers first only call them again.

G

·
They can't know for sure - it's not as if they ask you to prove that you have all the paperwork before making the appointment. But it's standard procedure for them, and I can understand why - just imagine all the people who would make appointments and then fail to turn up because there's one or more document that hasn't arrived on time, or if they made the appointment on the spur of the moment without actually checking that they can go through the process legally (as proven by the relevant supporting documentation when obtained)... etc.

In your case you have the problem of obtaining certain papers from Malaysia too, which may not be so straightforward.

All the red tape, it's so frustrating at times I know! But you have to see it from the administration's point of view too, and the need to avoid giving appointments to timewasters, those who haven't foreseen the delays involved in getting the documents together, or those that think "hey, let's get Pacs'd" and then can't be bothered with all the administrative hassle :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I totally agree with you on the administrative point of view.

However, I think they should screen through before telling NO.
For my case, I explained that I only needed to check if there is any available dates in December.
And the reply was so blunt, No, get your papers ready first. Bye.

G

·
Sometimes fonctionnaires, whatever the department they work in, are incredibly rude. They know they can get away with it. Then you've got those that sympathise with the Sarkozy/far right anti-immigration measures, which doesn't help :(

(edit: I've already had a hint of 'attitude' from someone at my préfecture, over my (Thai) wife's permis de séjour application).

·
Administrator
50,395 Posts
There's a problem with relying on the embassy to tell you what procedure might be at the prefecture - and that's the little matter than embassies and consulates report to one ministry, while the prefectures report to a different ministry. So it's rare that the embassies know what the prefectures want.

Perhaps you are supposed to submit the paperwork (i.e. the completed dossier) to the prefecture first, and then you get or make your appointment? I know that's how it worked when I went for my French nationality. It took a couple of tries before the Tribunal was satisfied with the dossier I had put together - and the ladies who finally accepted my dossier had to call their boss at least twice during the process (over what I thought were pretty stupid issues). Once it was accepted as being complete, I could then start making the appointments for the various interviews that were necessary.
Cheers,
Bev

Then again, every prefecture has its own little peculiarities when it comes to procedures.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Bev,

Thanks for the info. you've provided.
In addition, I would like to know if those documents are translated by French Embassy in Singapour, do they recognise it? or I have to do it in France?

Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bev,

Furthermore, some of the documents eg certificat de non-pacs only valid for 1 month.
Wouldn't it be more logical if I get the appointment date set first, which at least give us a 'set' date to get the documents?

Thanks

G

·
You will have to check with the French authorities dealing with your case, whether they would accept translations that have been done by translators approved by the French Embassy in Malaysia.

Valid for only one month? That's surprising - I know the French sometimes only recognise documents that are less than three months old. But if that's the case, in your shoes I might be tempted to tell a white lie or two, and try to get an appointment first. Although what will you do if they give you a rendez-vous in only two weeks' time? Even if it's a month or six weeks away, you may be hard-pressed to get some of the documents from Malaysia in time.

Really much of this is guesswork, and depends greatly on how straightforward your particular case is. I'm thinking of your problem with the certificat de celibat, you've already suggested that your country of origin is reluctant to issue this for PACS purposes. Each case is different, no one here is really going to be able to give you definitive advice, you are going to have to play it by ear really.

·
Administrator
50,395 Posts
Logic plays no part in what you're asked to assemble, I'm afraid. It's what is written on the particular piece of paper the fonctionnaire is referring to. Generally, you deposit your completed dossier, and make your appointment at that time. In a pinch, if you have those time sensitive documents, what counts is that they are still good at the time you submit your dossier. The date of the appointment shouldn't matter once the dossier has been accepted as complete and valid.

As far as translations done by the embassy, they should be ok - certainly for documents from Singapore.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Bev,

Thanks for the info. you've provided. It clears up most of my confusion.
But correct me again if I'm wrong, what you meant was ' I have to go and show them my completed dossier and then make an appointment but at this moment, the documents have to be within the time limit. The docs. at the appointment may not? '

As for translation, it's a bit tricky for my situation. I am a Malaysian, but working in Singapore. Hence, will docs. obtained from Malaysia but translated by French Embassy in Singapore be alright?

Thanks

·
Administrator
50,395 Posts
It may be more than showing them your completed dossier. Normally you submit the dossier (i.e. they keep it). So yes, it's the date of submission that counts. If they can't give you an appointment until several weeks later, when some of the documents may have gone "stale", that's not your problem.

You may have to ask whether the Singapore embassy will translate Malaysian documents. It's possible they will do so, but better to ask first. (Part of the "translation" process is a verification of the original.)
Cheers,
Bev

G

·
Just to clear this up for me Bev - as I haven't gone into the fine print - does it actually say somewhere that the dossier, or part of it, has to be submitted either prior to obtaining the rendez-vous, or prior to attending the rendez-vous?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks to both Bev and Frogblogger for the information provided.
It seems a bit more difficult for my case as I am not in Paris at the moment.
I will only be there in Decembre for holidays and that's when I wanted to submit the documents.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just to clear this up for me Bev - as I haven't gone into the fine print - does it actually say somewhere that the dossier, or part of it, has to be submitted either prior to obtaining the rendez-vous, or prior to attending the rendez-vous?
Yes, this is the confusion part.

·
Administrator
50,395 Posts
That's the bit that gets confusing. AFAIK, it all depends on how the local prefecture (or in this case, the Tribunal) wants to do things. Anything posted on the Service-Public site about procedures is understood to be purely a suggestion as to how things "may" work.

If jacynta is getting PACS'd in Paris, it might be better for the Paris-based partner to handle the actual submission of the documents and scheduling of the appointment. It may be possible to set up the appointment in person ahead of submitting the documents.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
IT's pretty difficult for my partner to handle the things as they only open office hours and so does my partner working that time. NEvertheless, I will ask him to try to do that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.