Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've started sorting out my goods and chattels and what's going to happen to them. Does anyone have (or know of) a database (Access?) or a comprehensive spreadsheet (Excel?) which will help do the job?

Ours is a big house with lots of 'stuff' to sort. I need things like Room # / Item # & Description / Is Import Allowed / Fate of Item (e.g. Take, Give, Leave, Throw, Sell....) / Who To if Giving It (e.g. Brother Fred, Charity Shop, Neighbour....) / Method and Price if Selling (e.g. eBay, Auction, Car Boot Sale....) / Notes (e.g. Special Cleaning Needed For Import, ....) &c. &.

I can then see various lists of tasks, what I need to pack in the car when I next go to see Brother Fred, list everything that needs to get put on eBay, work out when I need to book a van to take stuff to the auction....

Everyone must need to do it - you'd have thought one of the removals companies would offer it as an email freebie - good way for them to get contact details. (NB PSS - my consultancy rates are competitive) ;)

·
Administrator
50,392 Posts
If you're handy with a spreadsheet program, you can probably set this up for yourself (which is more or less what I did 20 years ago when I moved). Don't forget to include columns for the estimated current value of the items you're taking with you, date of acquisition and other information needed for shipping and customs on arrival.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
If you're handy with a spreadsheet program, you can probably set this up for yourself (which is more or less what I did 20 years ago when I moved).
Thanks Bev.

My wife is a demon with Excel and she's setting up lots of interlinked sheets. But it's the 'set this up for yourself-ishness' that I was asking about. Lots of people must be reinventing the wheel and I would never have thought of current value etc., which you suggest. Certainly my wife's spreadsheets didn't have them.

Somebody must have already done one that has (nearly) all the requirements, so that other people can use it as the blank template and fill in the sections they need/want? If not, perhaps we'll sell ours when we're finished.:)

Eric

·
Administrator
50,392 Posts
As far as I know, most people set up their own spreadsheet according to their own needs. Then, of course, there are the corporate transferees, who have all this paperwork hassle handled by their relocation consultant.

You might look around for a template geared toward a "household inventory." That would already have most of the base data and would only need a couple of columns added for disposition. Household inventory software is pretty common in the US, so I suspect the templates for a spreadsheet or data base would be, too. Otherwise, you'll find household inventory modules tacked on to most home financial management software.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 5 of 5 Posts