Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm headed to Perth from the States (NY) for the considerable future (couple of years).

I'm thinking of packing light (or essentially not packing) except for vital things which mostly are comprised of my electronics - laptop, hard drives, some legal paperwork, my sax, and a suit or two bc

-Excess baggage fees suck (I called Emirates, I love them but they won't give me extra allowance)
-I am going to stop once for 2 weeks to visit the GF after leaving NY for good but before arriving in Perth and lugging XX kgs of luggage isn't too appealing
-I've live abroad once before and I ended up dragging tons of stuff needlessly when I could've just bought stuff once there 'reasonably' if I knew where to shop.

That's essentially my allowance right there....

Questions
1. Is this wise?
2. I see the Kmarts, Targets and Ikeas. These are god sends for all the everyday stuff. Is there any other place I should be looking? Maybe places that are just a step up from that? I think I'm old enough to have non Ikea furniture, and I love Ikea...
3. The most important is clothes in the end. I need to have some decent polo shirts, button downs for work but don't really want to drop a boat load off the bat if I don't have to. Outlets? Or just bring some?

Thanks.

Alex

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
As another ex NYC Native (SYD for 6 yrs now) I would add this to your list of shops:

BigW
Myer
Lowes
BestandLess
$2 shop (same thing as 99c store back in NY).

The Targets and Kmarts here aren't as cheap or good as the US ones.

Name brand clothes: bring from the US
Non-brand: buy here

Bring towels, 1 pillow, and one blanket.

Furniture costs alot here, so it might be IKEA time again.

P.S.: Before you come here eat the following:
1. Lots of Pizza (NY style)
2. Taco Bell or White Castle if you have before

·
Registered
39 Posts
Why not use a shipping company to ship your goods? You could use UPS or even USPS, but they might be fairly expensive. You would probably get a commercial logistics company to ship your stuff to Perth on the slow boat for much less. That would give you time to visit your GF, and still get to Perth before your stuff.

That said, cheap is subjective. You can probably ship 100 pounds of stuff for $500-$750.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Wow. I drove by it when we were there last, and it was *HUGE*, but I didn't know it was that big. Now I wish I had gone in.

EDIT: That seemed a bit sarcastic, but wasn't. My entire house is furnished by IKEA. We love the stuff, and probably won't ever buy anything but. :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
amaslam - Never considered the food aspect! White Castle = so good yet so bad for you! And I agree with the pizza. Spoiled when I can walk 2 blocks and get awesome NY style. Towels? Weird. I'm going to bite the bullet on that one I think.

cowboy - honestly mostly because I'm lazy and now I'm just in a rush. Unless I am emotionally attached to it, I feel like I can buy there. Not the cheapest but it almost balances out. For example I would like to take my bike which weighs a ton and is awkward to pack. Then I think well I can just buy a cheap bike over there. Or my books. You know? I don't have to have it, sure it'd be nice but not $750 nice. Do you know of any logistics/shipping companies going out of NY? My thought is if I really am going to stay, Ill ship over the remainder of my stuff later.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Towels because after 26 hours of flying, ungodly bad jet lag and moving into your first place do you REALLY want go out to buy some towels?

I'm glad I brought one or two with me, because the first week feels like somebody kicked your a$$ and you didn't do anything yet.

amaslam - Never considered the food aspect! White Castle = so good yet so bad for you! And I agree with the pizza. Spoiled when I can walk 2 blocks and get awesome NY style. Towels? Weird. I'm going to bite the bullet on that one I think.

cowboy - honestly mostly because I'm lazy and now I'm just in a rush. Unless I am emotionally attached to it, I feel like I can buy there. Not the cheapest but it almost balances out. For example I would like to take my bike which weighs a ton and is awkward to pack. Then I think well I can just buy a cheap bike over there. Or my books. You know? I don't have to have it, sure it'd be nice but not $750 nice. Do you know of any logistics/shipping companies going out of NY? My thought is if I really am going to stay, Ill ship over the remainder of my stuff later.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Towels because after 26 hours of flying, ungodly bad jet lag and moving into your first place do you REALLY want go out to buy some towels?

I'm glad I brought one or two with me, because the first week feels like somebody kicked your a$$ and you didn't do anything yet.
That is brilliant advice and the kind of stuff I need to know. :clap2: I will be visiting the GF first, who I neglected to mention was in Dubai, so the damage is only 10-12hrs or so! I'll nick a towel from her. I've only laid over in Perth, do they have shower facilities there? Otherwise I probably would've had to use paper towels, my clean clothes or air dry the first week.:D

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Yes.

Perth Airport : Services & Facilities

That is brilliant advice and the kind of stuff I need to know. :clap2: I will be visiting the GF first, who I neglected to mention was in Dubai, so the damage is only 10-12hrs or so! I'll nick a towel from her. I've only laid over in Perth, do they have shower facilities there? Otherwise I probably would've had to use paper towels, my clean clothes or air dry the first week.:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts