Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon everyone,

Could anyone help ? I am suffering severely with M.E and struggling to spend much time researching due to this.

I have seen that Disabled people can possibly sponsor their other halves to the U.K ? I am living in a private rented apartment and have been sick for 3 years and with my partner for two.

Could anyone assist me further.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
340 Posts
Are you married to your partner? You would still need to prove that you have been living together in a relationship akin to marriage for 2 years or longer?

·
Registered
340 Posts
You will be excempt from needing to meet the financial requirements if :

You will be exempt from the income threshold if your sponsor receives one of
the following specified disability
-
related benefit or carers allowance in the UK:

Carer’s allowance

Disability living allowance

Severe disablement allowance

Industrial injuries disablement benefit

Attendance allowance

Personal independence payment

Armed forces independence payment or guaranteed income payment under the armed
forces compensation scheme

Constant attendance allowance, mobility supplement or war disablement pension under the
war pensions scheme
You will be able to meet the financial requirement by providing evidence of “adequate
maintenance” rather than meeting an income threshold.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you
I have been back and forward with my partner UK/USA for 2 years..documented. I was at Uni at the time and since was struck off work and lived in few different places until this new perm home.

I now receive P.I.P Severe disabled allowance, ESA and Housing/CT. I'm 37 and it sucks but I need to come to terms with life as it is now and would benefit from my partner being here.

Thanks again all

·
Super Moderator
18,073 Posts
Unless you have been living together for 2 years consecutively you won't qualify as unmarried partners. That means you have to prove joint responsibilities over a 2 year period. Time spent on visit visas doesn't count.

To prove adequate maintenance you will need to show that you have £114.85 left over each week after paying rent and council tax.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Thats the part i think may be a problem, you haven't been living together for 2 years, unless im misreading you. So bills etc in both names, proof that you have lived together for 2 years.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AH, that seems a little odd. How can two international partners live together for two years ? Or are there a few variations of what is meant by 'living' together ?

·
Registered
340 Posts
You would be bringing your partner in here on a Visa as an Unmarried Partner. Basically he/she will have all the same rights as if you were bringing your Husband/Wife with you. But as you are not married, you need to prove your relationship is that akin to one of marriage, and the 2 year living together is one of the requirements.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How are people with disabilities coping with sponsoring if they are engaged to Americans or other non eu citizens ?

·
Registered
340 Posts
There is a fiance visa, which means you will beable to bring your partner in. There are rules attached to this, which i think getting married withing the 6 month fiance visa is one of them.
For this visa you need to show that you are intending marriage, dates, venue, etc.

·
Super Moderator
18,073 Posts
AH, that seems a little odd. How can two international partners live together for two years ? Or are there a few variations of what is meant by 'living' together ?
People manage it because they have been living in each other's countries on different visas like work visas or student visas or they've been living together in a different country altogether on visas.

If you haven't been living together which it sounds like you haven't been then you simply don't qualify as unmarried partners and either she will have to qualify for another visa in her own right or you'll have to marry.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh I see. We are due to marry next summer as it goes but before then I have to go through the DWPs runaround to be rechecked that I suffer from M.E. Until then yes, we only have correspondence, calls, visits. We are engaged and she is here currently though she was only due to be here 3 weeks and I fell very sick so she had to extend her ticket a few weeks longer.

Thank you

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Marry first and then meet the maintenance requirement (£114.85/week etc). Or your partner may be in UK on another visa (e.g. student, sponsored work, working holiday) and you live together for 2 years, and then apply as unmarried partner.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes our visits are to each others family homes since 2013 usually for 3-12 weeks at a time. We spend on average 12 weeks apart until the other visits.. I'm thinking possible fiance visa ? But we are due to marry in USA.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Out of interest her passport is stamped 6 months .She has never extended her flight in two years but appears to be getting a lot of grief from B.Control and we have no idea why. I'm thinking she is due to leave on her new flight date in week but what happens if I need her for a little longer ?

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Even getting a 6-month stamp, extending her stay after declaring she is staying for a shorter period is being taken seriously, and they consider it to be dishonesty or deception, unless there are compelling compassionate reasons, like sudden illness, injury or caring for relatives etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes she got sick and thus I caught it. As I have M.E it is quite serious for me I have been restricted to being fully house bound past few weeks. I currently have no other carer. She goes next week.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Her extra stay is 27 days if that helps she was due back june 15th and has stayed until July 14th.

Thank you all

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.