Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I currently work in New Zealand but have become very frustrated with the Immigration department. My expression of interest(EOI) was selected over a month ago but up until now they haven't contacted me!
I have now decided to implement plan B - Oz!
Interestingly its cheaper for me to apply for Oz residency and yet also be able to work in NZ since I will get a Resident Return Visa.
Please correct me i am wrong.
Cheers,
Zenjis

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi Zenji:

Your understanding is mostly correct, but the RRV is not what allows you to work in NZ. It's the Trans Tasman Travel Arrangement which allows an AU Permanent Resident to live and work in New Zealand in most jobs.

The RRV mainly lets you travel outside of AU and return as PR into Australia.

Good luck :)

Hi,
I currently work in New Zealand but have become very frustrated with the Immigration department. My expression of interest(EOI) was selected over a month ago but up until now they haven't contacted me!
I have now decided to implement plan B - Oz!
Interestingly its cheaper for me to apply for Oz residency and yet also be able to work in NZ since I will get a Resident Return Visa.
Please correct me i am wrong.
Cheers,
Zenjis

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just to clear up any confusion, you must be a Citizen of NZ/AU and hold a Passport in order to work in either country. Being a Permanent Resident does not allow the Trans Tasman Arrangement to be valid.

I would agree with you Zenjis, the Immigration Department in NZ is a comedy of errors.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts