Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There

We are a family of three, my baby is eleven months old and are the early stages of hopefully moving to australia. My husband is a secondary school teacher and I am a Peadiatric Nurse,
My husband has unfortunately found it increasingly difficult to find a permanent teaching position, along with the high cost of living and the fact we have an increasing family we really want to make the move .

We are looking into the skilled workers visa which although expensive would be a great start towards our new life!!!!! I have looked into sponsorship which although would be great to have, it does have its loop holes.

I have a brother living in Sydney,and a few friends , so originally thats where we thought of moving, however house prices are really expensive, we would be renting long term. So i started to research The Gold Coast , areas like pacific pines??? Was wondering if any body had any advice on this!!!

It seems to be be a long road to get the skilled workers visa, but one we are excited to start!! If anybody has a similar story or really any advice to share it would be great to hear!!!

Thanks

Dub2oz

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

I am a nurse and although I ended up coming over on a spouse visa, I looked into a skilled work visa and know many other nurses who have emigrated here too. The consensus seems to be that applying for permanent residency (ie. skilled migration) right from the start is the better option. A lot of people I have met initially came on the sponsorship visa and ended up applying for permanent residency because as you are aware there are restrictions. Also, if you are granted a skilled worker visa I think you can actually find work doing anything, you are not restricted to that particular profession. I would imagine that nurses are still on the list, and probably teachers, for skills needed in Oz, but you would have to check the list. You may find that the whole process doesn't take as long as you imagine it will.

The advantage of getting permanent residency is that you can live and work anywhere, and thereby figure out where you might want to settle. I have lived in Cairns for 5 years with my Aussie hubby, and now have two boys aged 1 and 3. I had no problem finding work as a mental health nurse. Also, I initially came here on a working holiday and worked for an agency all over Australia, with great pay and conditions - which of course you could also do on a skilled migration visa.

As a nurse and teacher you could have some amazing placements all over Oz, in really remote areas, like Thursday Island for example, experience things you would never imagine in Ireland, and really benefit the communities here with your expertise. The pay would be fantastic too. Of course, having a small bub you may want to settle somewhere less remote, but anywhere you go you would find likeminded folks, probably with young kids.

So, in a nutshell, I would definitely recommend applying for the skilled work visa from the off, and come and rent before you decide where to settle. There is so much diversity here, but bear in mind why you are leaving Ireland and what you are hoping for in Oz. That is, don't swap cold weather, long commutes, and expensive cost of living for the same in Oz. It does get pretty chilly in the South from around April to September and the traffic in the big cities can be heavy. Also, you could end up miles
from the beach.

Good luck!

For your information, house prices are very low in Cairns at the moment, and we love living here. There is so much to do for the kids, and it is awesome living in the tropics. It's a small town though so not for everyone!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi

Hi There

We are a family of three, my baby is eleven months old and are the early stages of hopefully moving to australia. My husband is a secondary school teacher and I am a Peadiatric Nurse,
My husband has unfortunately found it increasingly difficult to find a permanent teaching position, along with the high cost of living and the fact we have an increasing family we really want to make the move .

We are looking into the skilled workers visa which although expensive would be a great start towards our new life!!!!! I have looked into sponsorship which although would be great to have, it does have its loop holes.

I have a brother living in Sydney,and a few friends , so originally thats where we thought of moving, however house prices are really expensive, we would be renting long term. So i started to research The Gold Coast , areas like pacific pines??? Was wondering if any body had any advice on this!!!

It seems to be be a long road to get the skilled workers visa, but one we are excited to start!! If anybody has a similar story or really any advice to share it would be great to hear!!!

Thanks

Dub2oz
Hi there
This is Vicki from Cork.We moved to Cairns in January.Myself,my husband and two children.
We got a 457 visa.Its a skilled workers visa.About half way through the process my husband was contacted by a company in Cairns.We love it here.

·
Banned
934 Posts
High Cost of Living in Ireland???? give me a break. You will have much less spending power even in Australia where your salary will liekly to be double.

as the previous poster said go out on a skilled visa through being a Nurse. It will much harder finding work as a teacher though and you won't get permanencey for at least a decade.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Should have added, try to do all the visa paperwork yourselves. You don't need an agent to do it for you, and it will end up costing double. Will just take a bit of organisation.

Also, just to concur with the previous poster, as a nurse your wage will be nearly doubled coming to QLD. Although the recent election of Campbell Newman could impact on future wage rises... Cost of living in is a bit more expensive than England but not by heaps, although petrol is half the price here. Not sure how England compares to Ireland at the moment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.