Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Owner type jeep

14K views 31 replies 11 participants last post by  rebuilder86 
#1 ·
Hello all.
I married a beautiful filipina and I am planning a trip for X'mas this year and will stay almost 2 months...

I checked on car rental and, well it would be so darn expensive that I am considering having her brother in law find and purchase an owner type Jeep then just gifting it to them......

As an American I think they are among the most awesome things I have ever seen.

Now, would I be painting a target on my back if I did this.

Would I draw attention to myself?

It would be used around taygaytay and Manila for sure and possibly a trip to bicol(still thinking on that)

Can a new one be purchased?

Thanks all

#2 · (Edited)
I may stand to be corrected, but I think most of the jeep clone-lookalike-or whatever you call them are pretty much individual made using most any combination of parts that can be scrounged up and put together. I don't think there is a manufacturer of them as such and you would just have to buy one from someone who wants to sell theirs. I had a friend here in Iloilo who was building one a few years ago, don't know if he ever finished it or not as he had some serious life changes(Asawa contacted Cancer & died) and he did at that time own a van he drove around in. There may be some companies or individuals around who will build to order. Maybe someone with more direct knowledge of this subject will chime in.

Fred

#3 · (Edited)
You wouldn't be painting a target on your back for driving an Owner Jeepney the danger or draw back would be if you hit someone or involved in a traffic incident you could be stuck here a very long time.

You also mentioned you are coming here during high season months, even if you have purchased a vehicle good luck finding a decent room to rent or get on a waiting list. Many of these tourist spots are also frequented by citizens and always packed with tourists.

#4 ·
Point to remember with owner type jeeps is they are very basic most have no aircon and for a trip from Manila to Tagatay or Bicol not suitable at all. Another thing is parts it may have a Toyota badge on the front but its likely
50% of it could be from other brands.when we first arrived i wanted to buy one, but the brother who owned one
Let me drive his very fast and cheap to run for local runs etc.
But he sold it later.
If you want a jeep there are mini versions of the iconic jeepney that are made by the jeepney makers.
I would love to own one of them but the boss said no so we had to buy a car !

#5 ·
Point to remember with owner type jeeps is they are very basic most have no aircon and for a trip from Manila to Tagatay or Bicol not suitable at all. Another thing is parts it may have a Toyota badge on the front but its likely
50% of it could be from other brands.when we first arrived i wanted to buy one, but the brother who owned one
Let me drive his very fast and cheap to run for local runs etc.
But he sold it later.
If you want a jeep there are mini versions of the iconic jeepney that are made by the jeepney makers
I would love to own one of them but the boss said no so we had to buy a car !
A car it is expatuk, I hear you as others will, great for around the farm or local but a longer trip? No thanks. Very cheap wheels but a choice that needs to be seriously considered.

Cheer Steve

#7 ·
Agree Gary but if that's where the OP is looking? See them from time to time in the province but rarely i
n the bigger picture, cheap to buy and maintain, like that but would hate to spend 5 to 6 hours travelling to Manila to pick up my Man from the airport or him to do the same and then return, nope sorry, long term, choose your wheels and short term simply hire or take the bus for 6 hours.

Cheers, Steve.

#8 ·
The initial post was about a two-month stay and give away vehicle for the in-laws I couldn't think of better vehicle it's still gonna cost anywhere from 100,000 - 150,000 pesos and the perfect vehicle in the provincial area's, I had the chance to buy one also but the carburetor was messed up.

#9 ·
Thanks, I plan on securing a condo in the next couple weeks....
But the Otj idea.

I think those ate cool and for a little more than the price of a rental for a couple of months I can do a lot of good for my wife's family even if I hire her brother in law to drive for us....

As an American I would love a simple stainless steel machine like that to tour with..

Now I just need to find one that's in as good a shape as possible letting her kuya pretty much make the choice .....

I figure 2500-3000 USD should get a pretty darn good one.....

Yeah, I hope.

#10 ·
I think you are looking at 250K to 500K pesos for a half way decent one.

Not that it would happen to you but from my experience leaving a vehicle in the hands of those that cannot afford to keep it running is a mistake. I have had them keep asking for money to maintain it and still when I would return 3 years later it is worthless to use on my vacations. I would just rent a jeepney with driver on the days you require it. Even on long trips of 200km it will only be like 5000 pesos, much cheaper on short hauls.

Tim

#11 ·
You have to realise they were just cobbled together in someone's back yard, most likely never completely roadworthy when new. An uncle had one and the bonnet would fly up driving down the road, turned a corner one day and suddenly a back wheel was sticking out one foot spitting ball bearings. Another friend had one where the hand break was never fitted and on most the only electrics to work is the horn.

#12 · (Edited)
Got a big laugh out of that last statement!!! Seems as if the first and to some the only thing they learn to handle is the horn button. As I have mentioned in the past, the atrocious driving habits are my major sore point about living here.

2 days ago one of the speed freaks took off my driverside mirror as he was passing a long string of cars in a no passing zone and was completely in my lane and I couldn't get out of his way in time. In general they do drive like imbeciles, especially the Jeepney & Taxi drivers but the general population is not much better.

Fred

#13 ·
I agree with the utter and complete chaos of the traffic that's sort of the reason I don't want something expensive and nice.....

I honestly would go with a brand spanking new motorcycle (tricycle) but the wife won't let me explore on my own..... Can't blame her, I would probably be a Hood ornament and the last thing I would hear is a happy beeping as I met oblivion!

But I would waste tanks of feul just driving around seeing stuff at my whim, that's what I want.

Last time I went everyone wanted way too much money to run me around and I got charged for two seats everywhere because I am the side of 2 philipino....... Like a giant to them.

That two times I went I saw the mall of Asia, her moms house and taygaytay's main road.......

I wanna explore.

But you all are right about the traffic and maintenance.

I will not buy a "modern" expensive vehicle I refuse to!

#14 · (Edited)
Hi Pt, I see the good and bad points in buying a vehicle like that, tempting also for us just to run around the province when we finally settle. Many good points have been raised here especially leaving it there for the family.

We installed a well, electric pump and plumbing into the inlaws house, not expensive by our standards but something they could never afford, certainly beats hand pump and dippers, well a month later the better half was asked to help pay for the extra electricity, I said no on principle, tell your mum and dad to turn off the pump and go back to the hand pump,,,,,,, still using the electric pump with no more asks.

We travel there annually for 1 to 2 months and simply hire a car, earlier this year we hired a 1 year old Mitsubishi mid sized sedan, PHP 32k per month, 5k refundable deposit which yes was refunded in cash as was paid, also only 500 pesos to drop off and 500 to pick up in Manila.

If you want their details send me a PM.

Cheers, Steve.

#26 ·
I hear ya, whwn i sent the cash i didnt know about the bajaj or by god that is what i would have bought.... I like everything about it!
And i got the 125 for the price brand spanking new and after i leave i will give it to her brother in law and sister.... I may or may not get a side car im still concidering that one.

Next year i am planning to build an appt on the upper floor of her moms place so we have a place here and the bajaj IS MY CHOICE, i just did not know about them before i got here dec 5

#27 ·
Whilst I hope you enjoy your stay in PH, I hear the alarm bellings ringing again loud and clear here.
I urge you to read the many and varied posts concerning moving and living (or visiting a loved one) in the Philippines.
Without any disrespect intended, you seem to have the head in a clouds a little. This can be a great country to live or reside for a short period, or it can be a landmine - 'caveat emptor' as the saying goes.

#32 ·
i have a cavite made 1997 model long wheel base softtop utility semi stainless type with toyota 4k motor.
ive had it for about 4 years

problems i have.
rust on chassis and underbody
inability to identify parts
inability to order special parts as all parts stores require a VIN number to cross refference parts. its simply a no from any parts enterpreter, they simpl6 wont order a part for a partixular car without having that cars vin number. so welding and remanufacturing are my new skills since acquiring mine.
engine is now slapping about, i have taken the head off because of a gasket problem, and found the pistons move 1mm in their bores. rebuilds are expensive here when u have white skin so its out of the question.
forever chasing corroded electrical connections, like daily.
canvas roof material is never going to last more than 2 years. mine was brand new and ive replaced it twice since. (in 4 years)
brakes, steering and other safety related components require the utmost mechanical knowledge and respect, and daily inspection, because if u trust this machine to last like one manufactured by a car manufacturer, you will end up on top of a motorcyclist or a small child and then be behind bars.

the good things.
its insanely cheap to fix problems with this engine, so long as you are near a regional hub, not in the moddle of the provinces like myself.
its great fun, so long as u are always checking the brakes and steering.
you will never be looked upon as an arrogant foreigner, you are driving a cheap vehicle. My jeep helps me fit in with the local community, and ppl recognise me as a hard working person who tries to provide safe transport for my family. Therefor i am able to avoid some of the skin tax associated with driving around in a brand new SUV.
Respect from Police. Had an accident, immediately admitted fault, paid for motorcycle repair, made friends with all police invloved and the motorcyclist, and atill catch up with them for a beer to this day. All because they were interested in the jeepy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.