Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am a support worker working with an Australian who's WHV ran out a week ago.
They are looking at leaving the UK towards the end of July-any ideas of what the consequences may be as am getting lots of differring information and haven't been able to get much information out of the UK Border Agency.

·
Registered
130 Posts
i am a support worker working with an Australian who's WHV ran out a week ago.
They are looking at leaving the UK towards the end of July-any ideas of what the consequences may be as am getting lots of differring information and haven't been able to get much information out of the UK Border Agency.
Is there a reason why they overstayed, such as awaiting a decision on an extension visa? I found the following on the Citizen's Advice Bureau website:

"If you’ve overstayed your visa or leave, you'll have 90 days to leave the country from the date it expired.

You might still be able to apply for a new visa within 14 days of your old one expiring.

You'll need to prove you had a very good reason for not renewing your old visa - so it's best to renew in time if you still can."

So if it expired a week ago and they want to leave by end of July that would fall within the 90 days and I assume shouldn't be an issue, however if they want to apply for a visa to return to the UK in the future this may raise a red flag, but if it's legal for them to stay 90 days after the visa expired it may just cause a delay in a decision while they investigate as opposed to a refusal.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Also, they are no longer entitled to work if they are not awaiting a decision on another visa application, but I'm sure your employer is already aware of that

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.