Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have also posted this on another forum as not really a clue what to advise this lady- and it is genuinely for someone else not me!!!-as I am nowhere near 183 days plus did an EasyJet quicky home after 83 days to avoid residency issue

Any thoughts welcome

A friend ( no not me!!!) has stupidly overstayed the 183 day limit for tax residency. She returns to the UK with a total of 191 days here during 2017. She works in U.K. not Spain

She has asked me for advice and I know she should come clean before returning to England but frankly I am afraid to say anything as I do not want to contribute further to her predicament.

I know many will say she should just keep stumb but she's worried about consequences of doing that as she owns a house in Spain and fears drastic action- charge against her property etc

Anyone ever find themselves in similar situation

·
Registered
19,394 Posts
Have also posted this on another forum as not really a clue what to advise this lady- and it is genuinely for someone else not me!!!-as I am nowhere near 183 days plus did an EasyJet quicky home after 83 days to avoid residency issue

Any thoughts welcome

A friend ( no not me!!!) has stupidly overstayed the 183 day limit for tax residency. She returns to the UK with a total of 191 days here during 2017. She works in U.K. not Spain

She has asked me for advice and I know she should come clean before returning to England but frankly I am afraid to say anything as I do not want to contribute further to her predicament.

I know many will say she should just keep stumb but she's worried about consequences of doing that as she owns a house in Spain and fears drastic action- charge against her property etc

If she REALLY wants to know what to do she should go to the nearest tax office, tell them the situation and they will tell her what to do, which will probably be a fine.They are the people who can give her the most accurate info as it is their job to do so. If she gets advice from anywhere else or anyone else, to make the situation right she will end up having dealings with hacienda (the tax offices) anyway.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers

Kinda was thinking that. She is really annoyed with herself so I think you are right as she will only get peace of mind if she goes to proper source.

I thought getting someone to spell that out on a forum was a good idea as I can now show her this and then it's up to her. Stories re tax office freak me out so I am a big coward when it comes to giving anyone advice plus I am totally wet behind the ears myself on this stuff

·
Registered
15,741 Posts
Tax authorities are generally much happier if you are honest with them! I forgot to update my Modelo 720 by the 31 March deadline this year. I went along and apologised and they were fine - just said to make sure and do it next year.

·
Registered
263 Posts

Any thoughts welcome

I seem to remember that this lady visited Portugal (or was it France) during that period but maybe she's forgotten.

·
Registered
U.K.
9,103 Posts
Tax authorities are generally much happier if you are honest with them! I forgot to update my Modelo 720 by the 31 March deadline this year. I went along and apologised and they were fine - just said to make sure and do it next year.
We were advised that we didn't need to do one the first year then we found out our previous gestor..... please not PREVIOUS gestor did not do it the second year... although he said he had.

Anyway amongst other issues, new gestor contacted them explained.. no problems everything sorted. I think it's better if the offender raises the issue rather than waiting for them to catch you up shows a willingness to be correct

·
Registered
205 Posts
Is the friend registered as "resident" in Spain? Or just visiting? Either way there's no need to do the tax for 2017 until next year.
I don't see any problems.

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
Is she already tax resident in Spain? If not can't see how the authorities would find out for an 8 day overstay. They just don't have the resources to investigate.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts