Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can any one help me about the insurance cost for moving by freight i have been informed it is an added cost, to the cost to move my home to perth, i have just had a quote for 600 pound, on top of the cost to ship it oz, quote they send shared container 2,400cost and marine insurance for estimated 20,000 would cost 600 pound, they said we can get are own insurance! has anyone got any ideas about this insurance it is megga:eek:

·
Registered
22 Posts
can any one help me about the insurance cost for moving by freight i have been informed it is an added cost, to the cost to move my home to perth, i have just had a quote for 600 pound, on top of the cost to ship it oz, quote they send shared container 2,400cost and marine insurance for estimated 20,000 would cost 600 pound, they said we can get are own insurance! has anyone got any ideas about this insurance it is megga:eek:
Hi There. We are just going through the same process and have the packers coming in to pack and ship everything in March. We have filled a 20 foot container and the insurance for cost with the removal company is 2.5% of value which is around the same as yours £20K So our Insurance will be £500. Not too far adrift from your quote
Regards
Steve

·
Registered
7 Posts
3% is a fairly standard industry premium for international shipping, you dont have to insure through your removal company but many people like to for convenience and ease of having things all in one place.

I would always advise to take out insurance, whoever with, because no matter how careful you are things can happen and damage can occur in situations outside of your movers control ranging from small items getting dropped through to total loss scenarios, for example, most people aren't aware but if a ship has a problem i.e. gets stranded or sinks then all the customers who have items on board are liable for general average, whereby they are responsible for a portion of the salvage cost. Although its VERY rare, it does happen (you will have seen the news) and it would be alot more than your premium cost. Not trying to scare you but everyone should be aware of the facts in making insurance decisions.

Check what the policy covers and excludes too.

Hope that helps!

Kirsty

1 - 3 of 3 Posts