Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard that overseas qualified accountants have a hard time finding jobs in accounting, management accounting, financial analyst roles. Is it true? ( Esp considering huge unemployed graduates with MPAs). Even for people with international professional qualifications such as CIMA, ACCA it takes several years before they were able to break through into the Australian Accounting Job Market.:confused: I also heard that even if overseas qualified accountants want to get local qualifications such as CPA Australia, or Chartered Accountants Australia they eventually quit failing to meet the experience requirement.

Any personal experiences like that?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think they do have a pretty rough time in general. Maybe not as bad as that, but it is bad.

I got my accounting degree in Oz, got PR. After one year of continuous applying I managed to break through with a smaller, regional firm.

So I still am not where I want to be, but I did break through :p However I am a native English speaker and cannot imagine how difficult it would be for others to break through.

It must just be the industry...I have seen many Australian students struggle to find jobs in accounting, and honestly it does puzzle me why they still keep this occupation on the SOL. I'm sure its days are numbered.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts