Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I will be 46 later this year. I am a level 2 qualified Bench Joiner and Wood Machinist, with 10 years experience in the trades. My wife is a Senior Manager in Social Housing with 20 years experience in the housing and education sectors.

We would love to live and work in Australia (and would consider New Zealand) and seek some clear step by step guidance as how best to approach this. I am aware other forums have covered this topic but some are either dated or quite negative because of the economy and we are seeking positive responses and encouragement. Hope you can help!

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Hi Ginjafro,

Welcome to the forum.

It's simply not easy to get into Australia at that age although I seem to remember a few members doing it who were in the medical profession.

Have you tried the visa wizard? There is a link in the 'PLEASE READ....' sticky post.

Or better still talk to a migration agent and see what they say. They'll usually say what your chances are of getting in and often the first consultation is free.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Ginjafro,

Welcome to the forum.

It's simply not easy to get into Australia at that age although I seem to remember a few members doing it who were in the medical profession.

Have you tried the visa wizard? There is a link in the 'PLEASE READ....' sticky post.

Or better still talk to a migration agent and see what they say. They'll usually say what your chances are of getting in and often the first consultation is free.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards,
Karen
Thankyou Karen,

I will certainly investigate a migration agent, who I hope may suggest the Visa 457/Sponsorship route. Perhaps, somebody can recommend a migration/sponsors agent?

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Thankyou Karen,

I will certainly investigate a migration agent, who I hope may suggest the Visa 457/Sponsorship route. Perhaps, somebody can recommend a migration/sponsors agent?
If you do a search on this forum there are several discussions about agents and there are some like Veronika (SOMV) and Alan (Alan Collett) who post regularly on the forum.

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
303 Posts
Thankyou Karen,

Hiya, call darren chatt at visa-go in the uk (do a web search) their great there, we came to australia in December and gained our visa with their help, so see how you get on.......all the very best ellisa:)

·
Banned
934 Posts
Hiya, call darren chatt at visa-go in the uk (do a web search) their great there, we came to australia in December and gained our visa with their help, so see how you get on.......all the very best ellisa:)
Yeah I wouldn't be wasteing anymore time on this forum. Talk to a migration agent asap.

·
Registered
13 Posts
We did out own paperwork contacting Australian immigration (in Australia by email) if we had any queries. We saved nearly 3 thousand pounds in doing so. I'm sorry to say age is a big stumbling block.
Someone mentioned older people in medical profession getting in. I believe they would take you if you were in a zimmer frame if you were a doctor cos they are desperate for medically qualified people.
Sorry couldn't be mire positive
Regards
Trevor

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi I think you'll find 45 is the cut off for entry into Australia New Zealand I believe is 55
I am aware of the current age restriction but am going through the process in anticipation of a change of regs announced in December and due to be ratified by Australian Parliament in July.

·
Banned
934 Posts
Actually the age limit is being raised to 50. The reality is though that eventually Australia will reduce it down further than it is at the moment. It's become clear that they want to make it easier for skilled working holiday makers to become PR's.

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
I am aware of the current age restriction but am going through the process in anticipation of a change of regs announced in December and due to be ratified by Australian Parliament in July.
Age aside, you also need to assess the overall impact of the visa rule changes on your chances of getting a visa. The new rules will make it easier for degree qualified and experienced people to qualify for a visa. The same is not necessarily true if you are a trades person.

I would advise that you obtain some advice from a migration agent as inevitably, if you are likely to be disadvantaged by the new rules and as you have yet to turn 45 (they consider your age at the time of the visa application), then you can still lodge an application now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Age aside, you also need to assess the overall impact of the visa rule changes on your chances of getting a visa. The new rules will make it easier for degree qualified and experienced people to qualify for a visa. The same is not necessarily true if you are a trades person.

I would advise that you obtain some advice from a migration agent as inevitably, if you are likely to be disadvantaged by the new rules and as you have yet to turn 45 (they consider your age at the time of the visa application), then you can still lodge an application now.
Fortunately some of my misspent youth was at a University and I managed to walk away with a Degree. My Agent is confident we both have the qualifications and experience despite our age (now over 45) to get into Oz. Anyway we are determined no matter what.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi I think you'll find 45 is the cut off for entry into Australia New Zealand I believe is 55
Like thumper said, 45 is the cut off, but that can be waived depending on your occupation. Medical and health, ie.. doctors, nurses midwives, all seem to be exempt, as we have just had a friend aged 57 accepted on a 457! to a Melbourne hospital.
Check the SOL for both your jobs, rack up the points, then get yourselves a good immigration agent. Overseas Emigration based in Edinburgh are extremely knowledgeable and very honest in their assessments.

John

·
Registered
101 Posts
The problem with 457 visa is it's not permanent residency are you asked/told you have to leave when existing employment/ contract is up.
Once in they advise you to apply for PR after 6 months of being with the same employer. This also acts as a kind of sponsorship for the PR, proving that you do have something to offer them. I also believe that there is nothing to stop you reapplying for 457 whilst in Oz once your contract is coming towards its end. you will only be asked to leave a) if the visa expires and and you have not lodged a new application or b) you need to leave the country and come back in to revalidate your new visa.

·
Banned
420 Posts
Like thumper said, 45 is the cut off, but that can be waived depending on your occupation. Medical and health, ie.. doctors, nurses midwives, all seem to be exempt, as we have just had a friend aged 57 accepted on a 457! to a Melbourne hospital.
Check the SOL for both your jobs, rack up the points, then get yourselves a good immigration agent. Overseas Emigration based in Edinburgh are extremely knowledgeable and very honest in their assessments.

John
I don't think there is an age limit placed on the 457 is there? I know professional people who've got sponsored PR who were over 45. The employer just has to put forward a good case as to why they need someone that age.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.