Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I wonder if any of my fellow expats can give me some advice

I live in a compound if Mirdif consisting of 8 villas, the outside area is a complete mess, with broken tiles, bird droppings, and lights which no longer work meaning after dark you cannot go outside as you are likely to fall over a broken tile or worst walk on a roach.

I have shown pictures of this to the landlord but he has not done any work to the outside in over 2 years.

When I moved in we had a watch man but he disappeared and now the outside area in cleaned 1 time a week if that.

The landlord is now asked for a rent increase in line with RERA calculator is there anyway I can refuse to pay the increase due to the state of the outside of the property.

Or better still report him to some authority who will order him to make the outside area safe ???

Please advise

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,963 Posts
Hi,
Do you mean between the compound wall and the road - outside the boundary of the compound? Or do you mean inside the compound boundary but outside your plot walls?
If it is between compound wall and the road - then the landlord might not actually own the land and would therefore not actually have any responsibility to clear it up.
The only options you might have are to pay someone to clear it for you - maybe speak to the other tenants and all chip in - or just move to a different place.
You could also advise the landlord that you intend to move out unless the area is cleared up - the only problem with that approach is that landlords here are greedy and thick. They don't value existing tenants and believe that they can always find a higher paying tenant if you move out. You often see places empty for ages - but the landlords don't appreciate that empty places don't earn them money!
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi

Its within the compound walls

Hi,
Do you mean between the compound wall and the road - outside the boundary of the compound? Or do you mean inside the compound boundary but outside your plot walls?
If it is between compound wall and the road - then the landlord might not actually own the land and would therefore not actually have any responsibility to clear it up.
The only options you might have are to pay someone to clear it for you - maybe speak to the other tenants and all chip in - or just move to a different place.
You could also advise the landlord that you intend to move out unless the area is cleared up - the only problem with that approach is that landlords here are greedy and thick. They don't value existing tenants and believe that they can always find a higher paying tenant if you move out. You often see places empty for ages - but the landlords don't appreciate that empty places don't earn them money!
Cheers
Steve

1 - 4 of 4 Posts