Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to move to marbella soon but am experiencing some problems with the letting agents. They seem to be charging extortionate fees just for their services (? 1000 agency fees on a ?750 pm apartment) surely this isnt normal?
As here in uk i have never had to pay more than around £300 for them to sort contracts. I feel like i am being fleeced :( and so far its holding up my move bigtime. I dont want to spend this much on agency fees but at the same time am too scared to go private and deal direct with landlords as ive heard they can be pretty fishy.
Has anyone got any suggestions? Or know of any lettings agents which wont charge me an arm and a leg before moving in? Would love to hear from you x

·
Registered
U.K.
9,113 Posts
I am planning to move to marbella soon but am experiencing some problems with the letting agents. They seem to be charging extortionate fees just for their services (? 1000 agency fees on a ?750 pm apartment) surely this isnt normal?
As here in uk i have never had to pay more than around £300 for them to sort contracts. I feel like i am being fleeced :( and so far its holding up my move bigtime. I dont want to spend this much on agency fees but at the same time am too scared to go private and deal direct with landlords as ive heard they can be pretty fishy.
Has anyone got any suggestions? Or know of any lettings agents which wont charge me an arm and a leg before moving in? Would love to hear from you x
Can't comment on fees here but my daughters both rent in the south east and fees of £ 500 per tenant is not unheard of

New data on how much local letting agents charge in tenants’ fees has been published by the councils of Bournemouth and Brighton & Hove.

The data has come from Generation Rent, and in both cases claims that Leaders charges the most – £624 in both places.

·
Registered
U.K.
9,113 Posts
South east of spain i assume you mean?
No, as I said can't comment on fees here, but you quoted fees, which my point was are not far off prices in the South East in the U.K. You said you felt fleeced, the prices you quoted are high, but equal to the U.K. in expensive areas.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Unfortunately its common practice in Spain, for letting agencies to charge anywhere up to the equivalent of
2 months rent for their fees. To be paid by the tenant ( never the Landlord ) once the tenancy agreement
is signed.

Some say you can barter with the letting agencies over their fee, in those areas where the apartments,
available for rent are taking some time to rent out. Sometimes the new Landlord might go 50/50 over
the letting agency fees again, where the Landlords been waiting some time for a new tenant.

Therefore it pays to be astute in negotiating and bartering over these fees.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its a nightmare :( totally wasnt expecting it. Its bad enough they want 2 months rent and one month upfront but at least i can get those back..seems you have to have a lot of money to move to this place. And i thought nothing could beat dubai prices! Haha :(

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Its a nightmare :( totally wasnt expecting it. Its bad enough they want 2 months rent and one month upfront but at least i can get those back..seems you have to have a lot of money to move to this place. And i thought nothing could beat dubai prices! Haha :(
I know - you never get this in England but this is Spain. As I said before you might get some leeway by bartering
and haggling over their fees although in such cases its best to use someone whose well versed in Spanish.
It's the old trick of never letting on that your particularly interested in this apartment and well if you cannot
meet me with the price, me and my husband are considering a better deal with
. . . .etc, etc, etc.

The Spanish love to haggle and it can produce results.

·
Registered
U.K.
9,113 Posts
I know - you never get this in England but this is Spain. As I said before you might get some leeway by bartering
and haggling over their fees although in such cases its best to use someone whose well versed in Spanish.
It's the old trick of never letting on that your particularly interested in this apartment and well if you cannot
meet me with the price, me and my husband are considering a better deal with
. . . .etc, etc, etc.

The Spanish love to haggle and it can produce results.

But they do, do this in England. My daughters have had to pay one months deposit one months rebt in advance and agencies fees of up to £700. Especially in expensive areas

I do think it's a rip off. New legislation in the UK. means deposits are now held by a third party, there was many an occasion when for a mild scrape or tear my kids didn't get their deposit back.

We have a land lord on here who rents out houses ? He may have a better balanced view....

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
But they do, do this in England. My daughters have had to pay one months deposit one months rebt in advance and agencies fees of up to £700. Especially in expensive areas

I do think it's a rip off. New legislation in the UK. means deposits are now held by a third party, there was many an occasion when for a mild scrape or tear my kids didn't get their deposit back.

We have a land lord on here who rents out houses ? He may have a better balanced view....
Yes they can do that - in England - its not unknown but I can also give you 'chapter and verse' of those letting
agencies who don't do it.

For those living in expensive areas in the UK, as you say - some Letting Agencies can be unscrupulous with
their charges.
Fortunately I never lived in London and the South-East, I'm glad to say.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have tried this. The agent (who is british incidentally) dosent seem too keen to budge. He says he can talk to the landlord / some other agency involved to see if he can drop the commission but never seems to come back to me and offer a more reasonable fee. I thought being from uk himself he would understand the nightmare. Having so much else to pay for like freight, shipping of my car and storage of my furniture fees over here its really the last thing i need right now :(

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
I have tried this. The agent (who is british incidentally) dosent seem too keen to budge. He says he can talk to the landlord / some other agency involved to see if he can drop the commission but never seems to come back to me and offer a more reasonable fee. I thought being from uk himself he would understand the nightmare. Having so much else to pay for like freight, shipping of my car and storage of my furniture fees over here its really the last thing i need right now :(
These things are not, however, the agent's responsibility nor problem. If this agent doesn't suit and won't budge, then I can only suggest you try another.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
I thought being from uk himself he would understand the nightmare. Having so much else to pay for like freight, shipping of my car and storage of my furniture fees over here its really the last thing i need right now :(
The man has a living to make, that's all that matters to him.

The next time money is running a bit short towards the end of the month before my next pension payment comes in, I must try going into a shop and asking for something I can't pay for, but expect the shopkeeper to feel sorry for me. I wonder how I'll get on?:D

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
People seem to be on here to poke fun and cause arguments LYNN R can we please remember i came on here with some important questions and looking for some helpful suggestions
NOT to argue with someone who is clearly very bored and probably isnt even moving or living in spain anyway!!!
Enough now.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
People seem to be on here to poke fun and cause arguments LYNN R can we please remember i came on here with some important questions and looking for some helpful suggestions
NOT to argue with someone who is clearly very bored and probably isnt even moving or living in spain anyway!!!
Enough now.

I can see 3 other people on this page alone who have pointed out that what you are expectiing is not reasonable in the area/market you are looking at, so why single out my response?

No, I am not moving (well, only from one property to another within Spain, as it happens) as I did that nearly 11 years ago so don't make silly remarks about those who reply to you probably not living in Spain.

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Enough now.
You have made the mistake of looking at a town where prices are high because it attracts high-price paying people. You have also made the mistake of going to a Brit. (all those time-share touts who used to rip off tourists looking at property were not Spanish and have now re-invented themselves as property letting agents, et al.)

Trying to insult other members is not only against the rules,

http://www.expatforum.com/expats/general-expat-discussions/2397-forum-rules.html

it will (a) get you nowhere and (b) put up the backs of other members who will retaliate by ignoring you. For your information that poster does live in Spain and has done so for many years, she has also (as have most of us) had to put up with new posters who expect others to do all their research for them instead of doing it themselves. BTW asking questions on a forum is not researching.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Is a "playground for the rich and famous" really the right place to live for somebody on a tight budget?
https://www.myguidemarbella.com/

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi skipper
I dont think really its a town for only "rich and famous" people. There are plenty of young people my age also living out there and the native spanish people of course. Marbella shouldnt be made exclusive for any one set of people. There is plenty of reasonable priced property out there, where the rent is a lot less than i pay here in uk, however the agency fees are startling. I could understand it if i was buying, but im not. I could be there for six months, have to move again and what have to pay 1000 euros again? Its too much for a young person on their own. However im wondering if there are agencies there with better rates? As maybe i went to a bad one. I wasnt keen on the fact he asked me to send 1500 euros before id even seen anything. Apparently to "hold" some prospective properties to show me, but i hadnt even asked him to do that and wasnt even sure if i was interested in anything he would show me. Just the procedures in spain seem to different to what im used to, its a scary business when your young and doing it alone.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts