Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I'm "between residences" :eek: - have been living in an apartment in The Greens, and will look for similar in the New Year.

In the interim, I'm looking for a low-cost hotel apartment for 6 weeks / 2 months.

But it's holiday season (or the "bubble effect" - wait, there is no bubble) - prices in the usual areas of TECOM and Barsha are rather higher than I would like to pay. Many places are full, some others are not offering monthly rates (I guess they can fill up on holiday lets), and from the ones that are, I've been quoted >15k pcm for a small 1-bed, inclusive rates.

I have a car, so not bothered too much within reason where I'm located.

Does anyone know / can anyone recommend any hotel apartments in non-touristy areas that might come at a more reasonable cost? I guess on the 311 corridor rather than SZR - Silicon Oasis, Motor City, or similar?

Thanks
Lamp

PS it would also be an advantage if they would accept my cat, to save me having to pay secrecy favours to the cleaner... ;)

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Easy Hotel in Jebel Ali is less than 200dhs a night but that's well out of the way, maybe check out agoda dot com and find somewhere cheap in Deira or Bur Dubai.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Easy Hotel in Jebel Ali is less than 200dhs a night but that's well out of the way, maybe check out agoda dot com and find somewhere cheap in Deira or Bur Dubai.
Thanks Felix, I'll take a look

·
Registered
585 Posts
Have you checked with local SKAI Residency in the Greens?
Why don't you just take a walk there (it's usually more effective than email/phone) and see what they can offer?
BTW why did you leave your apartment in the first place?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Byja - what are the skai residence like at the greens do you know. I have a wife and two kids and looking for serviced apartments for January but couldn't much info on them.
Looked at nuran as well but online saying no availability

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you checked with local SKAI Residency in the Greens?
Nope, but I shall - thanks for the pointer. I did get an offer on a 1-bed in the Greens through DubaiShortStay, but not available until next week.

BTW why did you leave your apartment in the first place?
End of annual contract, and I want to slice a chunk off my rent (and landlord wants to add a chunk to his rent!).

·
Registered
21 Posts
One of my colleagues is living in a low budget yet very beautiful hotel apartment in Ghusais. she showed me the photos I really loved it and it's big. I think its somewhere near grand hotel.
you can talk to the manager and get a special contract or rate.

·
Premium Member
10,204 Posts
The nice area in Ghusais is most likely the Dubai side of Al Nahda.

Lamp, have you looked at places near Wafi or Deira City Center? They're quite decent and have some great apartments.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The nice area in Ghusais is most likely the Dubai side of Al Nahda.

Lamp, have you looked at places near Wafi or Deira City Center? They're quite decent and have some great apartments.
Thanks Pam / Memi

No, actually I didn't look there as Mrs Lamp's friends are all this end of town. It makes it quite a trek for her to visit. But perhaps it is worth reconsideration, at least for a short while.

Immediate issue is to find a cheap hotel for a few days nearby Greens in order to vacate my apartment (today) - wife is away, so requisite standards are a bit lower. :D I can then look properly for the hotel apartment.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Byja - what are the skai residence like at the greens do you know. I have a wife and two kids and looking for serviced apartments for January but couldn't much info on them.
I've only stayed there for couple of days before I finally moved into the apartment in the Greens.
For me, it was more than ok, but be aware that I was on my own back then, and only stayed there for a short period.
I've seen a lot of families there with small children, but the room that I've got is definitely not suitable for a longer stay or a whole family. One thing that I still remember is that there was no washer&dryer in the room, only dishwasher.
Then again, the whole SKAI residency is simply a residential building, similar to other buildings around it, converted to a "hotel", so I guess there are better rooms/apartments for a family.
And one more thing, obvious, but worth mentioning - they don't have a restaurant, you have to take care of that yourself.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just an update on this - I visited this morning, and it seems the owners are selling up once the place is empty (possibly to SKAI next door). They have loads of empty apartments, but are not taking new residents (even when I asked nicely, just for a few days).

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Thanks Pam / Memi

No, actually I didn't look there as Mrs Lamp's friends are all this end of town. It makes it quite a trek for her to visit. But perhaps it is worth reconsideration, at least for a short while.

Immediate issue is to find a cheap hotel for a few days nearby Greens in order to vacate my apartment (today) - wife is away, so requisite standards are a bit lower. :D I can then look properly for the hotel apartment.
Try the Armada hotel in DIP. its about 3500 a month for a hotel room.

·
Premium Member
10,204 Posts
Just an update on this - I visited this morning, and it seems the owners are selling up once the place is empty (possibly to SKAI next door). They have loads of empty apartments, but are not taking new residents (even when I asked nicely, just for a few days).
Lamplighter...Ibis is 450++, I just passed by the place about an hour ago and saw the sign.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Lamplighter...Ibis is 450++, I just passed by the place about an hour ago and saw the sign.
Ibis Al Barsha is the one that you see from SZR (near Al Zahra hospital). I think Lamplighter may have seen the Ibis near Mall of EMirates (near the Al Barsha station).
There is also this City Max hotel in AL Barsha (near MOE parking entrance at the back) which is usually cheaper than Ibis.
There is Novotel near the Worl Trade Center which used to be 350++ some 3 weeks back.

Everything seems to have suddenly become expensive in the last couple of weeks!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts