Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I headed out this morning to OXXO to buy ice (since we were without power for 7 hours) I pulled out two 500 peso bills - because I knew I wouldn't need them. When I got home the two newest member to the family had torn the bills to pieces. I have found four pieces which make up about 80% or so of the original bills. I'm hoping that our bank will accept them ? Any thoughts ? I think in the US, the bank will accept them as long as you have more than 50%.

·
Super Moderator
Guadalajara, México
7,056 Posts
When I headed out this morning to OXXO to buy ice (since we were without power for 7 hours) I pulled out two 500 peso bills - because I knew I wouldn't need them. When I got home the two newest member to the family had torn the bills to pieces. I have found four pieces which make up about 80% or so of the original bills. I'm hoping that our bank will accept them ? Any thoughts ? I think in the US, the bank will accept them as long as you have more than 50%.
Try it. But my guess is that you are $1000 pesos poorer than before the Oxxo run. They are pretty fussy about the condition of bills here.

·
Super Moderator
9,011 Posts
Try it. But my guess is that you are $1000 pesos poorer than before the Oxxo run. They are pretty fussy about the condition of bills here.
I've had bills refused in local businesses (where they know me) if they just had a slight tear. Don't know if my bank would accept them.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Our cats chewed My money? Not My cats chewed Our money?

I think if you were in Thailand you wouldn't want to take the money to the bank because you might be accused of a crime - defacing currency that has the picture of a King on it is considered disrespecting the monarchy, punishable by years in prison.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I'll let ya'll know. But beforehand I'll tell you - we have a much more positive attitude towards life (in Mexico) then ya'll. Worst case - it was some very expensive ice.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Super Moderator
Guadalajara, México
7,056 Posts
https://translate.google.com/transl...ete-roto-aun-vale-no-sirve&edit-text=&act=url

The bank measures the largest piece which has to be more than 1/2 the size of the bill and gives a complete bill in exchange. Pieces smaller than that are not exchangable. You can tape it together and if only a piece the size of a 10 peso coin is missing you can still use it.
Surprising that google translate doesn't know the difference between "boletos" and "billetes". It is not clear what the authority for that page was, but even if those are the official rules, finding a bank to follow them may be another story. I look forward to the next installment from the OP.

·
Super Moderator
9,011 Posts
I expect it’s because billete does mean ‘ticket’ in Spain.
I am shocked (well, not really) that Google Translate doesn't know the difference between Peninsular and Mexican Spanish!;) I wonder what it would do with the language spoken in Argentina?

·
Super Moderator
9,011 Posts
We visited our normal bank branch. My wife said "we have two little kittens" and handed the teller the two mangled bills. The teller smiled and handed my wife two new bills.
You're lucky to have such a good relationship with your local bank. Could it be because you have a premier account?

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
You're lucky to have such a good relationship with your local bank. Could it be because you have a premier account?
In fact we do have a Premier Account with that bank - and we have a dedicated person who looks out for us. But today we just walked up to the teller's window. He did not ask for any credentials at all nor did he ask it we were clients of the bank.

Edit : The teller did receive a fresh baked brownie in thanks.

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
BEER ROASTED CAT
1 cat cut into roast
1 can of Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup
1 cube of beef bouillon
1 clove of garlic
1 Fine Irish Stout, a lot like a popular dark Irish Beer®, but NOT that brand at their lawyers' request. They alledge this article, educating others in the legal eating habits of over 100 million people world-wide, and specifically in rising East Asian markets, is "highly offensive."

Scraped CatCover and soak cat roast in salt water for 24 hours. Drain water and then cover and soak in beer for 6 hours. Drain and place in crock pot with your cans of soup. Add a clove of garlic, and a cube of beef bouillon. If you start to slow cook your cat in the morning with your George Foreman Cooker (or it's ilk), you'll have finely cooked feline in time for supper.

If a slow cooker is not available, a cat can be baked at 350 degrees for 2-3 hours in a conventional oven and still come out pretty good. Beer Roasted Cat is fantastic served with mashed potatoes, collard greens, and fresh, homemade egg rolls. When planning a full meal just remember- cat is a course best served hot!

Skinned Cat Cat may not be the most glamorous, or tastiest of game meats, but with a little thought and preparation, Baked Cat can make the belly of the persnicketiest diner glow with home baked goodness.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts