Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, our Romeria started with a Mass which was scheduled to start at nine-thirty but which actually began at ten to ten.
It was held outside in the courtyard of our little parish church, in front of a lily-bedecked statue of San Isidro Labrador. The priest gave a homily which included a list of virtues to be aimed at by a 'good woman'. Predictably, these included being 'modest' and cooking the family's dinner. The PSOE Concejala who lives in our village, a short fierce young woman, noticeably bridled at this. The PP Mayor, a decent enough chap, seemed OK with the message.
Until you've heard flamenco hymns played by a group dressed in black trousers, white shirts and red sashes, you ain't heard nothin' as they say.
The statue of San Isidro was then loaded carefully onto a cart and a procession followed it down to the spot by the river where casetas and a stage had been set up. More music, feasting and drinking.
We saw lots of local people we knew but the noise was too much for Azor so we went home. (Sandra, who is radically indifferent to religion, was waiting for me with Azor outside the church).
There were fewer carts and people this year....but everyone seemed to be having a good time. As the current registered population of our village is a mere 1800 souls, the original inhabitants all know each other well.
What struck me this year was the number of police...local and Guardia. They were very relaxed - maybe it was an excuse for a skive as I doubt any disorder broke out after we left.
All in all, an enjoyable day. The village was bedecked with foliage everywhere, paths, houses, everything.
Some photos

·
Registered
19,452 Posts
Well, our Romeria started with a Mass which was scheduled to start at nine-thirty but which actually began at ten to ten.
It was held outside in the courtyard of our little parish church, in front of a lily-bedecked statue of San Isidro Labrador. The priest gave a homily which included a list of virtues to be aimed at by a 'good woman'. Predictably, these included being 'modest' and cooking the family's dinner. The PSOE Concejala who lives in our village, a short fierce young woman, noticeably bridled at this. The PP Mayor, a decent enough chap, seemed OK with the message.
Until you've heard flamenco hymns played by a group dressed in black trousers, white shirts and red sashes, you ain't heard nothin' as they say.
The statue of San Isidro was then loaded carefully onto a cart and a procession followed it down to the spot by the river where casetas and a stage had been set up. More music, feasting and drinking.
We saw lots of local people we knew but the noise was too much for Azor so we went home. (Sandra, who is radically indifferent to religion, was waiting for me with Azor outside the church).
There were fewer carts and people this year....but everyone seemed to be having a good time. As the current registered population of our village is a mere 1800 souls, the original inhabitants all know each other well.
What struck me this year was the number of police...local and Guardia. They were very relaxed - maybe it was an excuse for a skive as I doubt any disorder broke out after we left.
All in all, an enjoyable day. The village was bedecked with foliage everywhere, paths, houses, everything.
Some photos
Love the sermon by the priest, although I must admit that I'm surprised he can still get away with it in 21st century Spain.
(Here we're very trendy and MIL tells me we have a black priest!!) Personally I'd have been with Sandra and Azor having a good chinwag about something, but it does sound like an interesting morning :)
BTW did you hear about the priest in Alcala de Henares here in Madrid who gave a whole sermon at Easter about the dangers of homosexuality? He has been reported, but I'm not sure what the outcome has been.

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Love the sermon by the priest, although I must admit that I'm surprised he can still get away with it in 21st century Spain.
(Here we're very trendy and MIL tells me we have a black priest!!) Personally I'd have been with Sandra and Azor having a good chinwag about something, but it does sound like an interesting morning :)
BTW did you hear about the priest in Alcala de Henares here in Madrid who gave a whole sermon at Easter about the dangers of homosexuality? He has been reported, but I'm not sure what the outcome has been.

Yes, I read about that...:eek:

Sandra read somewhere that a poll of young Spaniards showed that 88% of young people thought it was a woman's place to serve a man!!!!
With attitudes like that, I'm not surprised the priest could get away with such an archaic message.

·
Registered
19,452 Posts
Yes, I read about that...:eek:

Sandra read somewhere that a poll of young Spaniards showed that 88% of young people thought it was a woman's place to serve a man!!!!
With attitudes like that, I'm not surprised the priest could get away with such an archaic message.
88%!!??

That's quite depressing, isn't it?:(:):(

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
88%!!??

That's quite depressing, isn't it?:(:):(
Very, if it were accurate.

As someone said, 'There are lies, damned lies and statistics'.
I can't imagine any of the Spanish women I know being under anyone's thumb.
Without exception, I have found Spanish men to be extremely courteous and respectful in their attitude to women.

But then when you consider the high level of gender violence...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.