Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Husband has our original marriage visa in the uk with him.. would a certified copy of the marriage certificate be ok or do i have to have the original copy help please:confused:

·
Registered
39,081 Posts
Where were you married? If in UK, you need a certified copy issued by the registrar (or clergy if it was a Church of England or Church in Wales ceremony). You can send the original created at the time of the ceremony, but certified copy would be sufficient. If in US, you need a certified copy issued by vital records of the state you were married in. You should be able to order either by mail.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where were you married? If in UK, you need a certified copy issued by the registrar (or clergy if it was a Church of England or Church in Wales ceremony). You can send the original created at the time of the ceremony, but certified copy would be sufficient. If in US, you need a certified copy issued by vital records of the state you were married in. You should be able to order either by mail.
we was married in the us so would it be a good idea for him to post it back to me and to get a certified copy and send both? also i know this might be a silly question do i need to change the name in my passport to my new name or wait to change it before i leave america?

·
Registered
39,081 Posts
You can change your passport name now if you want. But a better time is when you come to renew your leave in 2.5 years' time, when with a new passport, you will get your biometric residence permit in your married name, matching that of your passport. Getting it now means you have a delay of several months till you get it and then apply for spouse visa.

All you need is a certified copy issued by the vital records office of your state. The signed married license itself isn't sufficient, as your marriage must first be officially registered by the state (or city like New York) and then get certified copy from them. Th at can be submitted to Home Office for your visa application.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks joppa=) also one more question i know my husband is in the hm forces and u have told me a month ago we was exempt from the financial requirment is there a certain amount of years that my husband has to be in the hm forces to be exempt?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.