Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I've ordered a mobile phone from the UK and got it posted to a friend there. Could anyone advise me on the best way I could get the phone posted to Dubai from the UK?

Royal Mail refuse to insure the package since it's a mobile phone. I've also read bad reports about workers in Emirates Post stealing stuff.

If I get it sent by courier, should I declare the item and it's value? What are the custom charges like?

I tried looking online for answers to these but can't make a decision.

Thanks!
Maneck

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Courier will definitely handle it but declare it as used. This will mean opening the box and removing some of the obvious plastic bags, etc. I am pretty sure you won't pay tax if you say it's second hand. The person sending it will need to make a pro forma with the declaration and value. You can insure it which will cost you 2.5% of the declared value. Obviously there is a catch-22 here because you will not be able to declare the true value for insurance which might be a problem in the unlikely event that something does happen. And make sure it's well wrapped.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sounds great!

I think that's what I'll do. I'll have to knock down the price anyways by £50 because the courier company isn't insuring the phone to it's full value. So this way I can knock it down by £50 and say it's used.

Thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.