Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

This is just a speed related to see if there is an issue with my fibre speeds or if it is the norm and service related question

I am currently paying for the 500mb fibre service and getting download speeds of 330mb down and 197-210 up.

I would like to see what other users are getting before I complain.

I have also noticed that the sales rep that come to my house added every possible extra to my account (possibly to improve his commission) I have had to contact orange a free times to cancel things I did not want. Anyone in the same boat?

Andy

·
Administrator
50,412 Posts
Orange doesn't have the best reputation around for "customer friendliness" in these matters. We've run an IT business for 20 years here, and dealing with Orange can be one of the main "challenges" especially when it comes to getting a line installed and up and running - even with a business customer.

As far as speeds are concerned, I'm told that you "never" get the full speed advertised. Though we're not in an area where fibre is available, so no experience with that.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
FWIW we have only Orange ADSL here. Advertised speed is 15 mbs. Often get 10, sometimes 4, sometimes the needle doesn't get off zero. It really is very variable.

My first dial up experience in the 1970s was with GPO Datel 2b modems 1200 bits (not Mb!) per second, at the time that was pure magic......sometimes not much faster today.

DejW

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
The advertised speed is never the speed you get There will be people who get the advertised speed who live next door to the exchange and have brand new cabling both inside and outside the house

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes getting there with it. I sent one wireless controller and charged for two. Took the controller back to the orange shop and they adjusted the bill and gave a receipt for the return. Now just received the next bill with has a charge for another controller. Going back to Orange on Monday

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
The advertised speed is never the speed you get There will be people who get the advertised speed who live next door to the exchange and have brand new cabling both inside and outside the house
Our notional speed from Orange is 40 Mbits. In reality we get between 80 and 100 Mbits.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
We have just moved back to Tours. In Paris we had 200 mb fibre and here in Tours we have normal ADSL. I would say that the internet speed in Tours is quicker.

Work that one out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts