Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've recently been offered a two year fixed-term Research Fellowship at a university in Melbourne. The salary I have been offered is around 75,000 AUD. I wondered what the readership thought about this salary? Is it good for the location?

There isn't a benefits package to speak of except 17% superannuation. I'm a single chap who doesn't spend a massive amount although I'd like to put a bit aside each month in savings.

Starsky

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hello,

I've recently been offered a two year fixed-term Research Fellowship at a university in Melbourne. The salary I have been offered is around 75,000 AUD. I wondered what the readership thought about this salary? Is it good for the location?

There isn't a benefits package to speak of except 17% superannuation. I'm a single chap who doesn't spend a massive amount although I'd like to put a bit aside each month in savings.

Starsky
Go for it :)

I think for a family of 4, we lived pretty comfortably on around $60,000 p.a. (our rent of 3150 pm was the biggest outgoing - was a 3 bed house in an inner Eastern suburb).

So long as you live sensibly that is a very comfortable salary for a single individual :) You could rent a 1 bed apartment or a house-share to save even more.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hello,

Starsky
Hi Starsky,

Sounds like a good deal. You'll definately be able to save quite a bit after tax.
I would say go for it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys - most helpful.

I will be on a 457 visa so presumably I get taxed at the same rate as Australian citizens?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.