Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As it says in the title really...

Are any of you emigrating and have not visited the country/area and what are your reasons for going? :eek:

What are your thoughts about the above?

All opinions welcome :cool:

x

·
Registered
619 Posts
As it says in the title really...

Are any of you emigrating and have not visited the country/area and what are your reasons for going? :eek:

What are your thoughts about the above?

All opinions welcome :cool:

x
If you have the money to make a visit, then you definitely should. It will put your mind at ease. If you can't afford it, then make sure you do as much research as possible online. We have visited Melbourne, Brisbane & Adelaide, however will be moving moving to Canberra. We are a little nervous, as we have never been there, but from our research are somewhat confident that we will enjoy our time there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We haven't emigrated yet (but the wheels are in motion :D )

We had this discussion a lot and both answers have their merits. Now we've gone together though (I'd been before on my own) it seems so much more real to both of us.

I would say it certainly is possible to emigrate without visiting but a visit will really help to make your mind up - as well as bringing issues that you've thought about into sharp focus.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just to clarify we have been to Brisbane twice, once on holiday and then lived there during a working holiday so we could decide if we would like to live there or of it was just a fab place to holiday.

I personally think you would be bonkers (no offense intended) if you moved there without ever visiting or after a short holiday.

But I am interested in opinions and peoples reasons for emmigrating.

x

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Personally I wouldn't have moved to Australia without visiting it first and we explored several areas on a couple of visits to make sure we were happy with the place that we chose.

There are posts on why people have moved if you do a search for them.

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
217 Posts
Yes, I applied for the 175 visa but donot actually know what state I will live in when I emmigrate. Am still debating.
Now days internet has made everything simple and the world is a smaller place. Lots of information and forums like this help someone to make a decision...
Otherwise, I think some of us are just brave and adventurous...lol...I have never lived in Australia except transiting through Sydney on my way to New Zealand.
Honestly, I don't think one needs to visit first!

"I personally think you would be bonkers (no offense intended) if you moved there without ever visiting or after a short holiday"

Am just a recent graduate and only 26 years with no commitments so why not??...Am not 'BONKERS'!!!!!

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
we have never been to in and around Australia but have lots of friends, have read a lot about it. We know what we like and what we would want from life. I am from India and any place would be safer than India. The mind was made to move out, anywhere developed which is not threatened by terror or the like, the options were US, UK, Can or AU.. first three are too cold for us. Spoke to those we know in Au, how they were managing and how was the place.
when you are at a country which is as safe as ours is, you wont think twice before grabbing an opportunity to migrate.
It isnt being bonkers, its what situation you are in and the reason for you to move. We live in Delhi, go to Goa twice a year, love it so much, i can go every month, i can move there, the ocean, the breeze, everything about the place is beautiful. this was the reason why we thought Au it is for us. why not US, well, we dont wany to run teh rest of our lives to make ends meet. we are simple people, we dont want trouble in and around us.

when you hear of a bomb blast at a place you were about to reach or had plans to go, it scares teh Sh*t (excuse the language) out of you. You just want to run away to a place where you will be safe and where you dont see everyman with a bag with suspicious eyes.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Just to clarify we have been to Brisbane twice, once on holiday and then lived there during a working holiday so we could decide if we would like to live there or of it was just a fab place to holiday.

I personally think you would be bonkers (no offense intended) if you moved there without ever visiting or after a short holiday.

But I am interested in opinions and peoples reasons for emmigrating.

x
Well, there must have been an awful lot of people, including my OH, 2 tiny sons and me, who were bonkers when we came here many years ago! We didn't even have the benefit of researching on the internet - completely the unknown. We survived.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
we have never been to in and around Australia but have lots of friends, have read a lot about it. We know what we like and what we would want from life. I am from India and any place would be safer than India. The mind was made to move out, anywhere developed which is not threatened by terror or the like, the options were US, UK, Can or AU.. first three are too cold for us. Spoke to those we know in Au, how they were managing and how was the place.
when you are at a country which is as safe as ours is, you wont think twice before grabbing an opportunity to migrate.
It isnt being bonkers, its what situation you are in and the reason for you to move. We live in Delhi, go to Goa twice a year, love it so much, i can go every month, i can move there, the ocean, the breeze, everything about the place is beautiful. this was the reason why we thought Au it is for us. why not US, well, we dont wany to run teh rest of our lives to make ends meet. we are simple people, we dont want trouble in and around us.

when you hear of a bomb blast at a place you were about to reach or had plans to go, it scares teh Sh*t (excuse the language) out of you. You just want to run away to a place where you will be safe and where you dont see everyman with a bag with suspicious eyes.
Ah yes I hadn't even thought about people moving from unsafe countries, I can see that it would be sensible to move anywhere else other than where you are living at the moment. I dont blame you for choosing Aussie a yes the weather is fab compared to England. USA is such a big place I would have thought the lifestyles could vary greatly? Also I think the majority of people whichever country they are in run their lives making ends meet however in Australia we will find it easier to buy a house where as in the UK we would struggle and possibly have to rent for longer which for us is not an option as we want to start a family.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, there must have been an awful lot of people, including my OH, 2 tiny sons and me, who were bonkers when we came here many years ago! We didn't even have the benefit of researching on the internet - completely the unknown. We survived.
So why was it you moved to a completely unknown country? Surely its not about surviving it's about loving where you live and enjoying life? Did it meet your expectations? Did you want to go back home at any point? Has your quality of life improved of is it same **** different place? (Please pardon the expression)

Thanks

·
Registered
184 Posts
My only reason for moving to Australia is the construction boom..I came to Dubai in 2004 during the peak of the construction boom and now plan to move to Australia. Hope all of us have a smooth transition as it is such tedious and stressful process of moving from one country to another.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, I applied for the 175 visa but donot actually know what state I will live in when I emmigrate. Am still debating.
Now days internet has made everything simple and the world is a smaller place. Lots of information and forums like this help someone to make a decision...
Otherwise, I think some of us are just brave and adventurous...lol...I have never lived in Australia except transiting through Sydney on my way to New Zealand.
Honestly, I don't think one needs to visit first!

"I personally think you would be bonkers (no offense intended) if you moved there without ever visiting or after a short holiday"

Am just a recent graduate and only 26 years with no commitments so why not??...Am not 'BONKERS'!!!!!
I understand people do and I am curious as to why! and how they found the experience How can they know what it will be like etc? I can see it would be easier for those who are single and with no mortgage etc. HOWEVER Its a big commitment for a lot of people especially those who take partners and children and you cant just go back at the drop of a hat if you don't like it if you have sold your house and bought a house in another country... or can you? Making a decision to move to another country permanently with no experience of it is very brave indeed. Or quite bonkers - this is not meant in a derogatory way just a sort of light hearted affectionate term - like... " i love my best mate she's bonkers" fun, crazy, mad, wild, adventurous etc etc .

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My only reason for moving to Australia is the construction boom..I came to Dubai in 2004 during the peak of the construction boom and now plan to move to Australia. Hope all of us have a smooth transition as it is such tedious and stressful process of moving from one country to another.
Yeah we have friends involved in a contract in Dubai and it has been stressful for them money wise in the past year or so. My husband is a lift engineer and we are hoping he will be able to get a good stable job there as at the moment running his own company and although we have done well in making a profit in a recession we think we would have a better chance in Australia. That and the fact we love Aussie!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We haven't emigrated yet (but the wheels are in motion :D )

We had this discussion a lot and both answers have their merits. Now we've gone together though (I'd been before on my own) it seems so much more real to both of us.

I would say it certainly is possible to emigrate without visiting but a visit will really help to make your mind up - as well as bringing issues that you've thought about into sharp focus.
How far have you got with the process so far? Where are you headed and what are your jobs etc?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you have the money to make a visit, then you definitely should. It will put your mind at ease. If you can't afford it, then make sure you do as much research as possible online. We have visited Melbourne, Brisbane & Adelaide, however will be moving moving to Canberra. We are a little nervous, as we have never been there, but from our research are somewhat confident that we will enjoy our time there.
What is it that draws you to Canberra? How far into the process are you?

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
..... We have visited Melbourne, Brisbane & Adelaide, however will be moving moving to Canberra. We are a little nervous, as we have never been there, but from our research are somewhat confident that we will enjoy our time there.
Interesting choice. Not sure it's where I would have chosen following the things I've read in our investigations (and we haven't been there either).

If you get a chance read Bill Bryson's 'Down Under' (in the US it's called 'In a Sunburned Land') - his observations on Canberra may change your mind ;)

·
Registered
619 Posts
What is it that draws you to Canberra? How far into the process are you?
We ignored Canberra for the longest time, but when the opportunity can up for state sponsorship there, we took a closer look, and decided that it was a place we could definitely live. Its definitely the smaller out of all the cities, but has enough shopping,food, activities etc to keep us occupied. Time for a quieter life I think, instead of here in busy San Francisco.

I jsut received my state sponsorship yesterday, so am patiently waiting for new on processing times. Hoping within 1 year, but god knows!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Interesting choice. Not sure it's where I would have chosen following the things I've read in our investigations (and we haven't been there either).

If you get a chance read Bill Bryson's 'Down Under' (in the US it's called 'In a Sunburned Land') - his observations on Canberra may change your mind ;)
It's a risk I'm willing to take for a speedier visa process. Worst case scenario, we are there for 2 years... but who knows.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

I will look at that book too I think, hope I can get it in our village library.

Oh and btw noticed your name and not sure if you heard over there that Top Cat has died :Cry::Cry:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts